• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The thrill of the local coin show!

4 posts in this topic

I find that I don't buy much these days...

Interesting how things change. Learning to grade, spot cleaned coins and generally a lack of interest in common grade coins and an aversion to overpay for coins means that I don't get to buy much at coin shows... The grading issue is my biggest challenge as I've learned to have the finest in champagne taste, if you know what I mean.

I always go with the intent of finding that next great gem for my Roosevelt dime - ex mint set, OBW roll or dealer stock, but usually what I end up finding are dogs not worth an old blue Whitman thumb buster. So, I've given up this pursuit lately and in fact I rarely even look at mint sets anymore.

What I've decided to do, so that coin shows make sense for me is to start a Dansco US Type album with an optimal grade in the XF-AU range - with F-VF acceptable for the oldest coins and BU for the moderns. I spent quite a bit of time perusing dealer stock, talking to dealers/collectors and viewing some phenomenal coins! Some had phenomenal prices too, I might add.

After a couple of hours of deliberation I decided to stick with a dealer I knew I could trust and pick out a few coins to take home - budget is limited right now coming off a few very large purchases. I choose a really nicely toned AU 1893 Columbian Exposition Commemm to fill one of four slots in the book, a really nice 1854 with Arrows Seated Quarter in XF-40 to 45 with a similar gun metal toning as the Columbian half and a 1910 Liberty V Nickel in AU-55 or so with lots of retained luster. The group set me back $120 - which I figure to be a decent deal and they look great in the Type Set album! Today's picture is the obverse of the V Nickel.

Also looked at a disturbing display of counterfeit slabs that would have been worth in excess of $50K had they been real. Most were early silver dollars and most had PCGS numbers that were valid for the corresponding coin - Distrubing to say the least...I was also amazed at raw counterfeits in a similar display including some "1900" Silver eagles. I had to get away from this display, as it was just infuriating me to no end.

No way around it - coin shows are just plain fun1!!

Todd

11853.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Coin shows sure are fun and nice pick ups Todd. Unfortunately the dark side of the hobby is always lurching. Education is key. All the best.

Gary