• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you rather have?

24 posts in this topic

At the ~$4,000 price point (give or take a couple hundred bucks) would you rather have a 1916-D Mercury in VF or a 1916 SLQ in G?

Don't try to over-analyze the question -- basically which of these two coins would you prefer for the grade $4,000 would buy?

16-D by far.

A 1916 in that grade is liable to have an almost-unreadable date and no decent detail.

Ditto. The 16-D dime in VF will be more attractive and probably far easier to sell some day.

Let me ask a followup question....what would be a good price to pay for a NGC VF-25 1916-d dime with CAC?

Thank You.

16-D by far.

A 1916 in that grade is liable to have an almost-unreadable date and no decent detail.

Ditto. The 16-D dime in VF will be more attractive and probably far easier to sell some day.

+2 The quality of the coin and future liquidity were my prime considerations as well.

I don't know the answer to that, but I have a follow up question...........historically, which appreciate more, higher or lower grade? Does the lower grade coin have more room to move or does the higher grade have better upside?

I don't know the answer to that, but I have a follow up question...........historically, which appreciate more, higher or lower grade? Does the lower grade coin have more room to move or does the higher grade have better upside?

Higher graded coins generally have better upside potential. This is why I'd choose the Merc 16-D.

Higher grade coins, on average, outperform lower grade coins for a few simple reasons. Among them is that the people who have the money required to buy nice, rarer coins tend to like coins in higher grades. This is not to say that there is no market at lower grade levels, however.

Aside from all of this, I would never buy a G4 Standing Liberty Quarter. The level of details is horrendous at this level in my opinion, and as was alluded to, you might not end up with a full date. If I am going to spend that much money on a coin, I am going to "go all in" and buy and truly special example.

Let me ask a followup question....what would be a good price to pay for a NGC VF-25 1916-d dime with CAC?

Thank You.

I think that 3250 would be a GOOD and REALISTIC price.

I would want to see the coin in person in order to determine whether or not it was nice for the grade. I definitely, positively would NOT rely on the slab and/or sticker to decide that for me!!

The crucial factor - again for ME - would be the strength of the vertical lines in the fasces. At VF + , the lines would have to be oh-so-close to complete, and I would want the coin to have basically zero contact marks anywhere at that level. Beware of staple scratches, too. For some reason (and this is not a slam in any way - in fact I've contacted John Albanese about this already), a very small number of stickered coins I've encountered extremely recently (in the last 4 days or so) have had staple scratches, which is just one of my smaller pet peeves.

As always, SEE THE COIN before you buy it, and make sure it meets YOUR standards.

I am not a big fan of coins graded G, I can certainly appreciate the price to rarity ratio for these coins.

I'd take the 16D Merc fo show!

OP

find out what vf25s go for on avg and then add a little premium as thats what CAC stickers can add to a coin. Or offer the avg price that non sticker ones go for and see what the seller says

What do you think of this example?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=28054&lotNo=24096

It looks overgraded to me based on the images. There is too much wear there to qualify for a VF grade in my opinion. I would pass.

It currently has a CAC sticker on it.

I would still pass personally.

At the ~$4,000 price point (give or take a couple hundred bucks) would you rather have a 1916-D Mercury in VF or a 1916 SLQ in G?

Don't try to over-analyze the question -- basically which of these two coins would you prefer for the grade $4,000 would buy?

Without over-analyzing, is having $4,000 an option? ;)

Looks like I am the only one who would rather have the SLQ. I've always preferred rarity and the SLQ is definitely rarer than the 16-D dime.