• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cameo or not Cameo?

13 posts in this topic

I guess my question is more this: Can toning over frosted devices remove a cameo designation?

also, dang this is hard to photograph!

DSC_0017-3.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

I can tell that it has cameo contrast but the toning has caused haze in the field enough to prevent the mirrored background from shining through enough to give it the designation. Great coin regardless.

Wow that's pretty!!! Could a dip make it cameo?

That's kinda what I'm wondering. There's more value in it as a cameo(thinking about selling it), but, GEEZ, how could I ever sleep at night having dipped this coin? (shrug)

I think you'll find that there will be enough buyers of that coin with the current color to warrant not dipping it out. I think the color will bring as much money as a cameo would. By the way, what's the grade? Looks like one of those new PCGS holders. I say leave it as is. Plus, cracking it and dipping it will not guarantee anything except removing the color, the mirrors still might be muted.

If the cameo is there it wont go anywhere and an experienced eye will know what it is. Dip the color and its just gone period.

That's kinda what I'm wondering. There's more value in it as a cameo(thinking about selling it), but, GEEZ, how could I ever sleep at night having dipped this coin? (shrug)

What do you feel the value is now versus the value with cameo?

Is it worth the risk and cost to regrade?

Offer it here for cameo money and see what happens?

I think you will regret dipping IMO.

To answer your question, yes toning can cover up the coin's mirrors and make a specimen that would otherwise obtain the designation not receive it. Notwithstanding this consideration, I think you will find someone who will pay you the coin its true value as it is, and I would not dip it. Some people, including myself, might actually like the color and recognize the latent cameo contrasts.

I received a few PMs from interested buyers for this coin, so to be fair, I'm putting it up on the bay. Good luck to those who are interested, and thank you again for the input.

Toning often negates a CAMEO designation because it’s hard to judge the true extent of the frost when it's covered up.

Copper-nickel alloy is not safe for dipping, so that is NOT an option if you are worried about selling it ;) Additionally, the color is substantial on this coin, and you would end up with a splotchy, stained coin if the toning was removed through safer methods.