• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Braddick's Black Beauty thread ATS

58 posts in this topic

Your black 23 is really cool. Hard to see the luster in that pic but if it has that metallic luster to it then drool.

"My banning on ats had more to do with Willis being a senile insufficiently_thoughtful_person than anything I did."

Post such as this are what got you the boot ATS. There is no need to insult others with your post. Here or there.

^

I submitted the coin raw and it was as black then as it is today.

And please, let's use our apostrophes.

They still let you submit coins?

I am still surprised some people dont differentiate between the different blacks. I have the coin in my OP in hand and compared to what I conisder terminal black which has a negative connotation to it, this type of black is very different. Its smokey with great luster, almost looks like its white black if that makes sense. Almost like those transparent smoke black cell phone cases they sell. In some parts its a really dark blue and purple. Terminal black to me has a borderline enviromental damage look to it. I bet braddicks peace is the same deal but impossible to capture with an iphone. I am having a hard time finding good res pics of what i consider terminal black in anything other than scans like the one i posted but if I do find something ill make another comparison. I am not trying to FORCE anyone to like something they do not but when people say things like "black toning has no luster" It makes me wonder if theyve seen these kind of blacks in hand.

Here is some black for you. But no way in the world would I try to convince anybody that the luster on this coin is completely even. Black Toning is as thick as it gets, which means there is a thicker film on the left side of this coin than on the right. That equates to less luster peeking through on the left side.

Also for what it is worth. Some people are very talented and can use a diluted solution of E Z est to turn those black coins purple by removing a layer or two.

Consignments106394.jpg

See that one to me comes off like a charcoal black in some places, namely the rims, as opposed to a jet black. Hard to gauge from pics where the luster is.When the luster is there the black takes on that awesome metallic look. Someone had a really nice Lincoln cent with that mettalic black taking up half the coin. Might have been Braddick. I think black is probably the hardest to photograph the luster on.

^

Of course.

They still let you post over there?

^

Of course.

They still let you post over there?

Of couse not..... Is that suppose to mean something? lol I tend to stick out like a PEACOCK in a chicken coupe which makes me susceptible to negative attention. Of coure you wouldn't know much about PEACOCKs. They have their rules and I broke them. If I saw Don at a show or something Id still stop and ATleast say "Hi". Of course I'd still love to use the BST over there but thats the cost I paid for not being FAKE. SULFUR now I will continue to post over here.

I would consider the OP coin as imaged to be "improperly toned", but of course that doesn't preclude someone from liking it.

It could be IT if it's not NT. Or it could be QT or AT. To be sure, pay a TPG. To be surer, CAC. :grin:

I would consider the OP coin as imaged to be "improperly toned", but of course that doesn't preclude someone from liking it.

It could be IT if it's not NT. Or it could be QT or AT. To be sure, pay a TPG. To be surer, CAC. :grin:

ROFLMAO, IDK if the OP coin is IT, IIRC & AAMOF a WYNTK on AT/QT vs NT/MA in TPG CAC plastic exists. Otherwise WYSIWYG so ALOTBSOL. JM2C!

ROFLMAO, IDK if the OP coin is IT, IIRC & AAMOF a WYNTK on AT/QT vs NT/MA in TPG CAC plastic exists. Otherwise WYSIWYG so ALOTBSOL. JM2C!

I'm going to have to get one of my kids to translate that for me

I'm going to have to get one of my kids to translate that for me

The first two you should know. After that:

IDK = I don't know

AAMOF = as a matter of fact

WYNTK = what you need to know

WYSIWYG = what you see is what you get

ALOTBSOL = always look on the bright side of life

JM2C = just my 2 cents

POTATO = person over thirty acting twenty one

I'll add a couple,

BOHICA , DILLIGAF, TARFU, FUBAR, but they don't apply to what goes on here. Any guesses?

I knew all but TARFU and I will not be translating any of them. If that bothers anyone, my response is: do I look like I give a...

I'll add a couple,

BOHICA , DILLIGAF, TARFU, FUBAR, but they don't apply to what goes on here. Any guesses?

I knew all but TARFU and I will not be translating any of them. If that bothers anyone, my response is: do I look like I give a...

Things are really "FOULED" up. You learn a lot in the military, some usefull some not, I guess this falls in the latter. Forgot, SNAFU, situation normal, all "FOULED" up.

I like the coins posted here and in Braddick's thread but none of the images are what I think of when someone says black beauty.

Yeah, I hear black beauty and think of late 50's Jefferson Nickels. I am not a big fan of terminal state toning either.

I realize black is considered terminal and we wont all like the same things but to me terminal is something like this.

$(KGrHqV,!ncE63T0+q3jBO2-NFPDFw~~60_35.JPG

You cant tell me you dont see a difference with something like this:

IMG_3025aaa.jpg

I see that you are comparing a scanned circulated coin against a photographed mint state coin. It really doesn't matter that one of those is better than the other, neither meet my standards for a coin that I would include in my collection. Why? Because both have terminal state toning. And it isn't because of the color, it is because the luster is always partially muted and is usually severely muted. To me, eye appeal comes from the presence of both color and luster. But none of my collecting preferences should stop you from buying and collecting what you like.

I'm sorry, I assumed you were seasoned enough to decipher the coin whether scanned or photographed. I was comparing coins not images. I think many people are able to make a comparison to based on what theyve seen in person with a reference from a picture whether scanned or otherwise. I know exactly what each of those coins look like in hand or thereabouts. And I dont think they are anywhere near each other. But you can blanket them both with the statement that they are "toned black" and be correct, and that is the point I was hoping youd extract, not argue with me that the images are different mediums.

I'm sorry, I assumed you were seasoned enough to understand that scans portray coins very badly compared to photos. I can't compare the coins because I haven't seen either one. All I have to compare is the images/scans. And I am not about to evaluate the luster of a terminal toning state Morgan Dollar based on images. If you think you can do that, more power to ya.

Furthermore, take away the little swatch of rainbow color at 12 & 6 on the reverse of the second Morgan and I think they are probably much closer in appearance in hand than you want to admit.

BTW, I think you should check out this forum.

The Argument Clinic

It seems that is your real interest in life.

Why is it that if you question my taste its ok but if I question yours I am argumentive? Take a snarky tone with me and expect one back, all day long.

I never questioned your taste, and you were rude first. You are an argumentative blowhard, plain and simple. It got you banned from the PCGS forum and it will lead to your demise here as well.

I agree with you, FUFU = Tool

Crypto = "No 1921 dolars have 4 ray reverses"

Yeah this guy knows coins (thumbs u

Do I misspell dollars when I think it or only when you write it?

Now you know how many Ls and how many rays. Only took you "having seen thousands of peace dollars" to master all that.