• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC grading issue WTH

25 posts in this topic

I sent in a 1853 large cent to be graded. It came back with a 1953 label. I don't understand.

Here is the email I received

"Thank you for your email. It is labeled correctly. We will only do Large Cent - Small Cent for the 56-57 as they were minted both large and small."

?????????????

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/BaseGrades.aspx?SubCatID=15&Designation=MS&PopSubCat=Coronet-Head-Cents

Looks like they're drinking again at headquarters...............

Maybe send them a picture in your next E-Mail. Or just keep it as a novelty.

I sent in a 1853 large cent to be graded. It came back with a 1953 label. I don't understand.

Here is the email I received

"Thank you for your email. It is labeled correctly. We will only do Large Cent - Small Cent for the 56-57 as they were minted both large and small."

?????????????

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/BaseGrades.aspx?SubCatID=15&Designation=MS&PopSubCat=Coronet-Head-Cents

It appears that the person who responded to you misunderstood your issue with the label. What did you write to NGC?

It's obviously a careless clerical error, but before you rush to have it corrected at headquarters, maybe first offer it in the Money Marketplace to see if you turn a tidy profit. I can imagine there are persons who collect those types of things, and/or who might want to obtain it as a curiosity.

I would hold onto it until the next time you go to a coin show where NGC is set up and then drop it off for reslabbing with a corrected label. Save yourself some postage.

One would think handling the printing on labels for inside holders would be a pretty simple job, at least one which could be learned rather quickly. This label does not seem like merely a typing error, 8 & 9 use different fingers.

There could well be someone out there that would pay up for this NGC holder error.

Things like this tend to drive collector's crazy. I know they do me. I pay good money to get my coins graded and everything should be correct when I receive it.

TPG's have many "eyes" assigned to catch things like this, i.e., Quality Control, people slabbing the coins, and even the shipping department.

It shouldn't happen, but does. Much more at PCGS than NGC in my experience.

I was the person at DGS who slabbed the coins while they were in business. I know I took my time to look "at everything" before I sealed the coin. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and our shipping department still caught a mistake or two I made.

Mistakes do happen but vitally important to minimize them. Same people making the same mistake, "See Ya."

Thats funny!

I wonder..... If NGC graded a 1952S Mint State quarter but mislabeled it 1893S Morgan $1 MS64..could you sell the label instead of the coin seeing as the label is for a coin worth a boat load more money than the coin actually in the slab? I'm kidding, that would never happen but it would be mind boggling.

Give NGC a call and see what they can do. IMO if it is going to cost you money for them to fix their error, see if anyone on the BST forum would pick it up. Mozin is right, there are people who collect TPG errors.

-Dave

I've received several labels from CGC that were incorrect. I agree with the sentiment: I pay money to have it graded, it should be labelled correctly. Now...mistakes happen. But what really bothers me is that I have to pay the return shipping to fix their error.

That's always bothered me. If I make a mistake, I should pay to fix it.

If NGC/CGC had to pay to fix their mistakes...and then hold the individual QC personnel who allowed it to go out personally responsible... I suspect many fewer mistakes would happen.

Got it solved

Please send your coin to us and mark it as a “MECHANICAL ERROR” on a new submission form. Please state the reason for returning the coin as well. There will be no charge to have this corrected. Please also send a copy of your shipping receipt so we can reimburse you for that as well.

Got it solved

Please send your coin to us and mark it as a “MECHANICAL ERROR” on a new submission form. Please state the reason for returning the coin as well. There will be no charge to have this corrected. Please also send a copy of your shipping receipt so we can reimburse you for that as well.

That's good customer service IMHO.

Got it solved

(thumbs u

Most reputable companies will bend over backwards to correct their mistakes, including the return postage, it just takes getting to the correct person. I always ast them to send me a return shipping label. This shows NGC's commitment to excellence.

Looks like they're drinking again at headquarters...............

Maybe send them a picture in your next E-Mail. Or just keep it as a novelty.

Heres the picture

Anyone interested in buying??

128861.jpg.742e43f02fc80eb806a97b783f664cee.jpg

OK, OK, I will buy your 1953 1C MS63, and just to show you what a nice guy I am, I will give you MS66 value for it......................................25 bucks should cover it all....................................... and pay shipping. Just for your trouble. or I GUESS you could send it back and get it corrected. I can see why you would want it corrected, a little difference in value. But my offer still stands

Got it solved

So, you're selling as is now. What's your thought process behind that?

Got it solved

So, you're selling as is now. What's your thought process behind that?

No actually I'm sending it back. I meant the statement as a joke 1963 isn't worth much.

I really like the coin so I'll get it re slabbed and take the points as well