• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many times has it happened.....

9 posts in this topic

That you felt you overpaid for something, but shortly after were glad of the decision you made?

Its happened to me many times. In some cases buying at auction, and in some cases buying from dealers. Most of the cases involved buying a coin that was very seldom traded and had little auction history. I have to say, that looking back, I am glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Has this happened to you?

See thats just it. You might think you're buried, but you are probably not. Care to give an example Mozin?

Here is my example. I paid strong for this especially considering the grade. But after doing some research and speaking to some very experienced numismatists, I realized I paid correct market value for the coin.

1793libcap-1.jpg

That you felt you overpaid for something, but shortly after were glad of the decision you made?

For coins I truly collect, it seems like I pretty much always "overpay". But I don't think twice about it.

Oh...yeah...I've overpaid....many times. This little gem:

5c-36d.jpg

I paid WAY too much for. I even got a laugh with Shane (the one with a nice eBay site) in a PM where I showed him a few coins I thought I was buried in. Some coins he said "you're OK with that one" but this Buff he said "Oh...yeah...you're buried" in a matter-of-fact manner. Too funny. lol

This coin recently came back from CAC with a gold sticker (included in my first submission to them) so I don't feel as buried as I have been.

THEN AGAIN: I've owned this coin for 10 years and every time I look at it it's "...OOOOoooo...neat". So am I truly "buried" in this when you enjoy it so much? hm

:tonofbricks:

jom

I love and collect the SMS series of the 60's. They are rarer than most seem to understand especially in higher grade cameo.

The problem is, they are hard to find. When you do find them, what you think might grade 68 cameo might come back 66 non cameo.

So, the people who own them are the kings at that point. If you want to upgrade, you have to deal with someone who got lucky enough to get the grade that you want or deal with a person who just upgraded and wants what they have in their coin.

So yea, I regularly overpay, and I don't care. I've made my fair share of nice SMS coins, unfortunately I sold a lot of the higher grade ones because they just didn't fit in my sets, but I wish I would have held onto them.

I once made 2 67 dimes in 67 and 68 ucam from one show. I made a 66 nickel in 68 ucam that I sold to a member here. I also made a 65 cent in 65 cam in a pcgs holder that was the nicest cameo cent that I have ever seen in the SMS series. I ended up selling it which I still regret to this day. I have since owned two more 65 cents in 65 cameo and haven't been completely as satisfied by either. The one I have now is nice though.

/end of rant :)

Two or Three of my coins I paid a bit of a premium for (maybe 25 or 35 %) but they were very PQ and well worth it, so I don't regret it, at all.

I've only lost money on one coin and I paid 1000 below BID on it. I had thought that I was safe. If given more time I could have, at least, broken even but I was dealing with a very disreputable, dirtbag dealer and I needed the money for something else, so I had no choice, after taking him at his word---that he dishonored. I had committed to ANOTHER seller on another coin and I refuse to dishonor a deal like that (unlike said dealer of no morals).

I bought another sinilar coin (at about 300 below bid) after that in a higher grade but THIS TIME I was more careful and untrusting, so I MADE a little money on it when I resold it.

The former two coins that I just spoke of were not very appealing to me, so that is why I felt buried, even though I didn't pay very much for them.

There is ONE coin in my collection that I paid 67% ABOVE ASK for, as I was in a bidding war and I DID NOT back down----Screw you!! I WON (my ego was satisfied)!! lol Seriously though, it is NOT smart getting involved in a bidding war but it was a coin that I KNEW that I would NEVER be able to find another one like it, at that grade level, again, so 'it is what it is', and I went for it full bore!!. But the coin is just a sick monster, so I don't even regret that, either, although it stung a bit to pay that much for it. I will, AT LEAST, break even on it and will very likely MAKE some money on it---I am sure. Besides, I am not selling it, until I am very old and crusty, anyway. :)