• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 EAGLE MS 70 ARRIVED TODAY

26 posts in this topic

I purchased an eagle off ebay to fill a slot in my competitive set. Was in a hurry, saw the listing for a buy it now. Clicked and bought it. The picture showed an NGC coin, the listing title 2012 Eagle, just what I needed, perfect. It arrived today, it's a 2012 (W) which I don't need. So I look at my purchase history, sure enough the listing says 2012, the photo shows a 2012(W), and in the description it says 2012 W. I need to slow the $% down and pay attention. Is it so hard to put accurate listings? I take full responsibility for this one, but I see a lot of listings that don't accurately poertray the subleties of the mintings. Sorry for going off, I'm really more mad at myself, did the same thing earlier in the week bought a 2008 and it was a proof.

I thought about it, i'll just keep it as a reminder to slow down and be more careful. I like to keep my mistakes around to keep me grounded. I still have a shell casing from an AD I had with my 1911 over 20 years ago. The safety was bad. Lessons learned

I thought about it, i'll just keep it as a reminder to slow down and be more careful. I like to keep my mistakes around to keep me grounded. I still have a shell casing from an AD I had with my 1911 over 20 years ago. The safety was bad. Lessons learned

Well if the cost was market for the coin I'd keep it too. You are about equally to blame as the mislabled title so a return would not be a complete out of the ordinary if you did though. Or better yet maybe the seller has the bullion you need and is willing to do an exchange.

"There are many ways to shoot youself in the foot." Gen George Patton.

If anybody would know that, its Georgie Patton

no kidding and a few times at that

For as brilliant as he was, he was a loon.

I don't have many toes left in my military career, shot my foot quite a few times.

When the letter is in parentheses it means it was minted at that mint but there is no mint mark. I thought I was purchasing a 2012. no mint mark, I got a 2012 (W) no mint mark. In the listing he said 2012 W which implies it would have a mint mark. There are also 2012 S and 2012 (S) I dont know why they don't just put a mint mark on it since they are already there. This should make it clear as mud

Is the photo ok? or is there something else I should do to get better ones?

What makes you think it deserves a 70?

Chris

NGC?...my question was refering to the quality of the photo, it was the first one I took of a coin, resized and uploaded. but in reference to the coin, most likely anything manufactured today and graded probably would get a 69 or 70. All determinrd by how generous the grader is feeling at that moment. I don't have any credentials for determining anything about the grade of any coin.

Is the photo ok? or is there something else I should do to get better ones?

What makes you think it deserves a 70?

Chris

What makes you think it does not?

I didn't say that it didn't deserve a 70, and anybody that could say "yea" or "nay" from a photo should have their head checked.

I was just curious if, in-hand, he could tell for sure that it is a 70.

Chris

I would want a better image before I bought it, all 70's are not equal.

That label is only from 500 oz sealed monster boxes, I think.

If that coin had been submitted from an opened W monster box it would have been what you wanted and in reality is.

Since there is no mint mark on the coin and if the auction title had a "W" in it, I can envision me buying it (for my burnished set) and feeling just like you when it arrived.

I'm guilty of rushing things as well.I need to remind myself to look at where the coin is located.(pandas from china is a no no)I also need to watch for the cost of postage,many times a deal breaker.But mostly to look carefully at the picture provided.If there are spots or blemishes I pass on it.

When the letter is in parentheses it means it was minted at that mint but there is no mint mark. I thought I was purchasing a 2012. no mint mark, I got a 2012 (W) no mint mark. In the listing he said 2012 W which implies it would have a mint mark. There are also 2012 S and 2012 (S) I dont know why they don't just put a mint mark on it since they are already there. This should make it clear as mud

As I understand it, and yes I do not collect these as the Mint's over-inflated prices are what keeping me from buying them, is that the W mintmark goes on the proof ASE, AGEs, and AGBs only.

The burnished 1 oz. are struck at West Point, but with no mintmark.

However, your photo clearly shows 2012(W) and the very top of the label it says, "Struck At West Point".

I think you're correct. You should slow down, and take your time to thoroughly read the listings.

Next time you rush through a purchase, like this, it might cost much more than this bullion coin did.

The mint reserves the W mintmark for the burnished collector coin. Putting it also on the bullion coin would get a bit confusing. They just recently started minting bullion coins at both West Point and San Francisco, maybe something will change to tell them apart other than just a strap around the monster box.