• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS 66 money for this 65 toned peace?

26 posts in this topic

IMHO two or more bidders are after the obverse color? I honestly do not consider this to be attractive based on the pics, but will check it out in hand at lot viewing.

I consider the toning neutral and would not at all pay that much for it. I do not believe it to be overgraded, so the premium is likely for the color. Not all toning is good or valuable toning.

Well lets not forget this is the auction that had the Huguenots last year. If you recall two MS66's sold for $30K+ respectivley.

It doesn't look like a 66 to me. The toning is a neutral and the strike is average.

Price is already a bit out of the range I would have expected.

Maybe this might tempt Mumu to sell his peace for more money :D

I can understand paying 65 money for a nicely toned 64. I actually thought that my 21 was going to reach 65 money and my max bid was about halfway between that. I didnt think I was going to win it. I was very happy to see it go well below even my bid. But that jump from 64 to 65 is only about 900$ at retail prices. The jump from 65 to 66 is 5000$ and the only way I can see this coin jusifying that jump is if it is not only considered beatifully toned but also undergraded. I am surprised by the current bid and am also curious to see it in hand. I may take a look at it at the show.

In related news that PL peace weve all been looking at is pushing 4k right now.

Nice obv toning; detail is a little above average; no basis for a higher "grade."

I see quite a few strong opinions from people who have not seen the coin in hand ;)

Let me guess; you have seen the coin, it looks much better in hand, and you are currently the high bidder. ;)

I see quite a few strong opinions from people who have not seen the coin in hand ;)

Let me guess; you have seen the coin, it looks much better in hand, and you are currently the high bidder. ;)

I see the wink, but for those who may not, let me say that that is NOT an accurate interpretation of what Mark wrote. Simply put, it's much easier to properly assess a coin in hand than via image.

EVP

Of course the photos are perfectly accurate (as SHOULD be expected for an auction house charging 17.5%) so I can judge precisely that the coin grades MS 65.7765.

Your welcome.

jom

Thats quite a feat being able to grade to 4 decimal places....impressive, reminds me or a soldier I had who was in the woods and able to give me a 10 digit grid co-ordinate to where he was......from a 1:50,000 map. Swore he didn't have a GPS. Oh yeah, a 10 digit grid is saying with in 3 feet of where you are on a map.

Thats quite a feat being able to grade to 4 decimal places....impressive, reminds me or a soldier I had who was in the woods and able to give me a 10 digit grid co-ordinate to where he was......from a 1:50,000 map. Swore he didn't have a GPS. Oh yeah, a 10 digit grid is saying with in 3 feet of where you are on a map.

Grading is MUCH easier. It's like measuring the length of your car with a measuring tape that has 1/16 of an inch precision.....while the car is moving past you at 60 MPH.

See? Easy.

jom

I was actually going to make a Mark Feld comment after others chimed in with similar sentiments that I had. I was going to say something along the lines of "What will everyone think when Mark F shows up and claims to be the winner of the coin".

Mark while I feel that your comment is 99% correct in the world of ideals, if we were to only discuss coins weve seen in hand then there probably wouldnt be a need for forums or online auction houses. Most threads would be started by someone and in most cases have no replies.

[based on the pictures]

This coin would not be for me. The description states that it's free of distractions, but the central obverse "acne" toning is rather distracting.

[/based on the pictures]

I'd like to see this one in person.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the wear on both sides and wonder how this was even graded in MS?

The hair and rays from the coronet have signs of wear, as do the wing and leg on the eagle.

jstull, are you doubting the all mighty PCGS and their grading? You will anger their many kool aid drinking fans with that word of doubt! :D :D jk

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the wear on both sides and wonder how this was even graded in MS?

The hair and rays from the coronet have signs of wear, as do the wing and leg on the eagle.

I see that as strike weakness. These high relief Peace dollars often exhibit signs of "wear" when in MS condition.

jstull, are you doubting the all mighty PCGS and their grading? You will anger their many kool aid drinking fans with that word of doubt! :D :D jk

Like PCGS has never done this before?

Right!