• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I called a major dealer today to inquire about an item on their site

95 posts in this topic

Just spoke with them.

They raised their price from $15,000 to $24,950 overnight. I'm passing.

Unbelievable. :o Hmmm ... maybe he read this thread. hm

No worries, Ankur. This smelled like trouble from the beginnning. You're better off passing.

In fact, I'd pass on this dealer FOREVER.

Just spoke with them.

Maybe they would take 10% to 15% off of the new price if you begged them to? :D

And so it begins......

May I offer as a Title for the new book the following:

"Suggested Radical Changes in the Methods of Retail/Wholesale Coin Market Practices In The Age of Coin Blogs"

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Just spoke with them.

Maybe they would take 10% to 15% off of the new price if you begged them to? :D

Most likely add 10-15% for begging...

Nobody likes wimps.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

The seller probably reads these forums, saw the post and figured if he was willing to pay 15000 no hassle he was probably good for higher, so he raised it enough to negotiate and get the true price Ankur would pay, not too ethical in my opinion

If you see the coin and offer them 20,000 you will have saved almost 5,000 dollars

Maybe I can see the coin and offer them 15,000...

Then again, nothing is saved if nothing is accepted.

With Respect,

John Curlis

Unfortunately, I've known a dealer or 2 or 3 like this. It's very annoying, especially if they have a piece you'd really like to see. I also have experienced too many occasions where I've had to send the coin back for one reason or another. Usually, the same dealers are extremely proud of said coin and neglect to mention a problem or three with it and I discover them within seconds of receiving the coin. ARGH!

How about naming them for questionable practices, as a warning to the rest of us

Coast to Coast coins

No wonder they won't have a table....can you imagine the scene if they did? Everyone that had been screwed over by them would finally have someone to "talk to" in person :D

Incidentally, other possibilities are that the subject dealer has the coin "on memo", or maybe the coin is currently out to another potential buyer, or maybe it's a partnership coin. Who knows?

And then if they are in a state that charges sales taxes on coins they don't want to pay the tax so the dealer would have to pay them out of his profits. Dicker the dealer down to 10% and then he has to pay the states 7% tax leaves him with 3% profit margin.

Both are legit reasons but why not simply tell Ankur that is the case? How difficult can that be?

Since they raised the price maybe they noticed they had mis-priced it on their website at $15K? So, again, why not simply tell Ankur that is the case?

What's the big deal? If the customer doesn't like it too bad...by their reaction to Ankur in the first place it certainly couldn't have been any worse.

jom

How about naming them for questionable practices, as a warning to the rest of us

Coast to Coast coins

No wonder they won't have a table....can you imagine the scene if they did? Everyone that had been screwed over by them would finally have someone to "talk to" in person :D

I remember years ago I saw the name of one of the big advertisers in coin publications took a table at one of the regional shows. They had the loneliest table in the room. All of their stuff was raw, over graded and over priced. I think the main they wanted to do was buy for inventory anyway, but their display of inventory was quite telling.

Just spoke with them.

I'm going to guess it's this one?

http://www.coastcoin.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_itemBuy.php?baseid=122188&serialid=1

How do they expect to sell anything with pathetic pictures like that!!! :o

The real issue here is nothing but plain ol' shortsightedness.

Because of this situation, and the info it brought out, I will never do business with "Coast to Coast Coins."

I never have done business with them before, but had no opinion on them until now.

Does it matter? Probably not. I'm just one guy.

But why turn off not only actual customers, but potential customers as well?

And I can't be the only one. The world is not a vacuum, after all.

Just spoke with them.

I'm going to guess it's this one?

http://www.coastcoin.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_itemBuy.php?baseid=122188&serialid=1

How do they expect to sell anything with pathetic pictures like that!!! :o

Oh yeah, I'll lay down 23 grand on a coin that they won't let me see and has a terrible photo. Sure...why not? What could go wrong?

jom

Just spoke with them.

INSANE. I'd pass for sure and for always and ever in the future! These guys (Coast to Coast) are in the same league as GSC.

Coast to Coast coins

As soon as you said Baltimore or Columbia, Maryland, I knew immediately that it was likely them. You are probably better off, especially if it was a raw coin. I rank them with Great Southern Coin on eBay.

A lifetime ago, when I first started collecting seriously, I asked a retired stamp dealer I know which coin dealer is ethical and has good stuff. He pulled out a CW, flipped through the pages and finally pointed at C-to-C.

I thanked him and never consulted him again.

Too much skulduggery, too much chicanery. Too bad.

EVP

Wasn't this dealer kicked out of the ANA because of numerous complaints from his customers?

I think the official reason was that they did not respond to the ANA inquest about these complaints regarding allegations of selling cleaned, whizzed, and/or other problem coins and allegations of misrepresentation (i.e. those "gem brilliant uncirculated" coins weren't really gems after all).