• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1846-o $1 AU?

13 posts in this topic

Details are near MS. I'm sure it's AU+ anyway. Looks dipped a couple times leaving the luster diminished with a couple finger-prints left behind. Minor rim problems as well.

This is a common date SLD that would be a $2,000 coin if problem-free.

Thanks for your input! It has retained some original luster but I agree with you that it may have been dipped. Do you know to what extent fingerprints can affect the grade?

I'm no expert in removing fingerprints, but by the looks of them, I'd see if I could find someone who can remove them before they get darker. If left in place that is a strong chance that they become brown and more noticeable.

I don't like to say it, but I'm no fan of this coin. I think that it has been cleaned pretty severely and falls into the "AU details" category. The more natural tone for Seated dollars of this era is dark gray.

AU details, and the combination of cleaning and fingerprinting saddens me. I'd try to find someone to help with those fingerprints because they are only detracting from eye appeal right now.

Thanks for your input! It has retained some original luster but I agree with you that it may have been dipped. Do you know to what extent fingerprints can affect the grade?

I don't think there is any "it may have been dipped" about it. It's either been dipped, or cleaned by some other means. That's based on the subdued, essentially color-free, unnatural looking surfaces.