• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever "put together" a nice BU roll of something?

8 posts in this topic

For at least thirty years, my favorite date within the war-nickel series, for no particular reason that I can remember, has been the 1943-D. I gravitated toward that date very early on in my collecting pursuit, and maybe just due to inertia, it's remained my favorite.

Anyhow, I started putting together a complete roll of UNC examples starting... I dunno... maybe twenty years ago? It was just one of those weird thing where I began accidentally accumulating, and next thing I know, I'm inching toward forty pieces.

Fast forward to this weekend... and voila, I picked up the last two today, bring completion to the roll. Sorry - no pics - 'cuz it isn't really that exciting.

The funny thing is, I have no idea at all how much it cost me to do this, since I bought the majority of the coins when silver was cheap, and these cost maybe $.10 each (OK may be $.50 for BUs). That makes it a little frustrating to pay a couple of bucks each for the last few :frustrated: .

Kind of a silly little pursuit, but what rolls are you putting together?

Oh, and incidentally, I do still have two other rolls of coins in progress, but they are MUCH tougher than War Nickels lol !

Edited to add: I just remembered that a couple of years ago, I put together a really nice roll of 1949-S Franklins, but that wasn't quite the same. I was aggressively working on a roll more as a challenge than anything, although it turned out to be quite profitable. The 1943-D nickel roll was just a fun thing.

Not really anything that I worked on for a considerable length of time, but I do have 20,000 Westward Journey nickels (2004-2006) in tubes and rolls which includes 3 tubes of proofs for each year. I just like the fact that they changed the designs those three years.

Chris

If I calculated correctly, those 20,000 nickels weigh 220 pounds

I like war nickels as well - loved when silver was over $40/oz and these nickels were going for over $2/

Especially when you know the look and could pick up big lots of old Jeffersons on eBay rather cheaply

I did this with MS65 NGC old holder Morgan Dollars. I think almost all of them were 1881-s with a sprinkling of maybe 1880s and 1882s. I like the coins because I thought they were premium quality for the grade. I still have a few.

If I calculated correctly, those 20,000 nickels weigh 220 pounds

Yeah, they keep pulling my pants down when I put them in my pocket.

Chris