• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few new additions to the collection! posted by coinsandmedals

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Odd looking PCGS holders.

Over the past week and a half I have had the opportunity to add a few nice certified coins to my collection without my budget taking too big of a hit. I have gathered a total of 8 more certified Coins, and a total of 4 raw coins. I would add more pictures but I think it might to a bit overkill. I have added a picture of a 1938 D Buffalo nickel graded MS-65 in an old PCGS rattler. My question for this coin is if you guys think it is worth the time and effort to send it to CAC. I apologize in advance for the poor quality pictures but it's the best I can do for now. I also picked up two PCGS franklins in old holders that I have never seen before; they are almost the same size and width of an NGC slab. I managed to fill a few coins to my 7070 but I have not had the chance to add to my large cent collection, it seems to me a harder to task to buy early copper without holding the coin in hand. If you guys want to see pictures just let me know and I will be happy to post them!

So this is what I picked up....

1945 S Wheat cent NGC MS-67 RD

1961 Franklin PCGS PR-65 CAC

1963 Franklin PCGS PR-65 CAC

1957 Franklin PCGS Rattler PR-66

1938 D Buffalo PCGS Rattler MS-65

1962 Franklin NGC PF-64 old fatty holder with neon blue edge toning

1959 Franklin PCGS PR-65 Odd looking old holder

1959 Franklin PCGS PR-66 Odd looking old holder

The following are all raw coins.....

1875 S twenty cent piece AU

1939 Mirror Proof Canadian dollar

1841 Large cent AU-UNC

1805 Large 5 half cent VF

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/coinsandmedals/1938Dobv.png

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/coinsandmedals/1938Drev.png

11679.png

See more journals by coinsandmedals

Congrats,you have quite a few nice additions.I personally would not submit the buffalo to CAC,not to say it would not sticker I just dont think it would gain financially.Besides that do you need CAC to tell you if you like the coin?Just my opinion!!

I agree. I don't really see the value in CAC grading. It's possible that this coin could be better than MS 65 - perhaps it would warrant a cross over to NGC or a review at PCGS.

You make me envious with the half dime - wow 1805 in VF - sweet coin. I'd love to see that one!!!

Todd

I wish I had an 1805 half dime in VF, that would be a great coin! I really like the early silver but besides the half dollars I find the pricing to be a bit more than I can justify or afford. I actually have an 1805 large five half cent in VF, I really want an AU but I only paid AG price for this one so I couldn’t pass it up. I understand where you’re coming from about rather or not I need CAC to tell me that I like the coin, and the answer is absolutely no. It’s rather send the coin in for a possible upgrade or send it to CAC; I was thinking CAC just to keep the history behind the holder. These rattler holders are a bit of a hassle for me to store due to the fact that they don’t fit correctly in the new boxes; does anyone have a suggestion on how to store them safely without them sliding everywhere?

Nice coins but as far a CAC goes, to me it doesn't add any value whatsoever to a coin. You are just paying another grader money to grade a coin that has already been graded. IMO CAC won't even be around in 10 years or less. They are trying to sell the numismatic world a green bean of BS but some are buying it. But then again you know what they say, "One is born every minute" hm

Mike

Nice pickups! Feel free to add photos or start a thread in the US section to show them off.