• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC VF 30 1836 Bust Half Dime

10 posts in this topic

A new addition to my "Busted" my budget on Half Dimes collection.

Hated to see my MS 64 1833 half dime sitting all alone in this short set, but at the same time it was the most expensive coin I've ever bought. So, my budget was thin, hence the name of the set.

Came across this one on Ebay and liked the look of it and quite frankly wanted to be able to do more research and study on die marriages. I need coins to be able to work with them and make assessments on marriages.

Date - 1836

Capped Bust Half Dime

Mintage - 1,900,000

Variety - LM-4

Rarity - R2 - Common

This one is below my optimal collecting grade, but a welcome 2nd coin for this set. I really would like to keep this set above AU-55, but maybe sometime I'll start the 123 coin "variety" set with all the die marriages from this short 9 year run series.

Waiting on my latest coins to be graded, they are scheduled for grading now, so maybe I'll get grades by the end of the week.

Todd

PS - Today's picture is of the 1836 Bust Half Dime Reverse.

11674.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Todd, She is a bit for ware but really looks swell with that chocolate coated skin and all the devices wore nice and clean so they stand out well.

Now you just need one for a center grade variety----say AU58 and you will have the spectrum for grading others.

Later---Rick

Thanks guys!!

Rick - I agree. That's the other reason I went ahead and bought this one to start learning the differences in grading. Doubt I'll buy too many raw coins, as they can make for very expensive mistakes if they come back in a body bag... Although, I think the graders are much more lenient on 150+ year old coins...

Todd

Don't discount a good looking VF, I just bought a 1895-S Morgan in VF-25 that is an outstanding coin for the grade. Beautiful toning with a strong strike and even wear, just a great looking coin that I will be writing about soon.

Gary

Todd, that half dime is a beauty. Sometimes the patina of a well aged coin is so much more attractive than a shiny MS version. Real good pick up.

Later,

Malcolm