• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin World subscription

24 posts in this topic

Does anyone here subscribe? Do they come in an envelope or security wrap?

I'm thinking about subscribing but would rather my mailman not realize what's in packages he delivers.

When I was a subscriber, the only issues that came in an envelope were replacements when I reported receiving a damaged issue. You might want to call them and ask if you can have all issues mailed in an envelope. It might cost extra, though. The only other alternative would be to rent a PO box and have all of your numismatic materials, including coin purchases, sent to it.

Chris

I'm thinking about subscribing but would rather my mailman not realize what's in packages he delivers.

It's not your mailman you need to worry about, it's the UPS driver. We had one up here cutting the corners with a razor blade, and did it so good it took months to figure out how he was getting in the packages. the local office will not tell anyone how he did it as not to educate other industrious souls.

wheat

I let my sub lapse.

Yes, you can get them in security covers....costs an extra $20/yr or so though. I forget the exact price, but it is something like that.

One issue a month comes in a wrapper, with the normal subscription, as it is a larger issue.

Also, you may want to do the online only version then.

I subscribe to it and find it quite useful, although I'd be careful of some of the advertisers.

A couple of years ago they had an option where you could get all of your issues through the mail in a protective wrap that covered what was inside. It added quite a bit to the subscription cost, and I'm not sure if very many people took it or if they still offer it. If you don't pay for the extra wrapping, only the issue with the "Trends" prices (That's not what they call it now.) is wrapped.

Another solution would be to get a PO box. I've maintained one for years and it sure beats getting stuff with coins all over it in your mail box.

I'm glad the people I deliver to have a little more faith in me than you do for your carrier.

:applause:

I was thinking the same thing when reading the OP - My mailman knows

my hobby as he has recieved gifts from me often. Usually silver eagles

He is making his own collection by now :)

He protects me by letting me know if any package looks suspicious and stays

while I open them to make sure the contents are okay.

Another solution would be to get a PO box. I've maintained one for years and it sure beats getting stuff with coins all over it in your mail box.

To me this is the most convenient option (and the one that I use). It is also useful to have your coins shipped to it as well (as long as bills, checks, etc.).

I have an on-line only subscription (it comes free with ANA membership).

The best part of having an on-line only subscription is that I don't have to spend time anymore cutting the address label off before I put the paper into recycling.

One thing about a weekly paper - the copies pile up real quick.

Also, the on-line only subscription is cheaper and Coin World's on-line archives go back pretty far.

I would only sign up for the monthly, not weekly. Will look into their wraped up subscription.

Dave, how is the online version?

If you go monthly only, they all arrived wrapped. You do have to pay extra to get the weekly issues wrapped.

The online version is an exact copy of the paper version and uses pretty good software for reading/page flipping.

$20 gets you 12 monthly issues (wrapped), access to the online editions, an Amos Advantage membership, and online access to several of their other magazines. Hard to go wrong for that price.

One thing about a weekly paper - the copies pile up real quick.

Tell me about it! I've got about 5 years of the weekly's in plastic storage containers.

Chris

The best part of having an on-line only subscription is that I don't have to spend time anymore cutting the address label off before I put the paper into recycling.

But, don't you have to delete the email address when you forward electronic copies or take them to the coin club meeting? Hmmmm....

I have just about all my mail, especially numismatic related sent to my PO Box. I only take the CW monthy about $20 a year I believe. I also have the online version bookmarked which is values and articles.

I also take PCGS Coin Facts and have it linked to my IPhone along with the NGC and PCGS certificate verify which also give values.

If you are concerned about USPS employees knowing your address, how does a PO Box solve that? The USPS employees have your home address on file with the PO Box number. Plus if they wanted to pilfer coin shipments to you, it would be no more difficult to do so from a PO Box.

If you are concerned about USPS employees knowing your address, how does a PO Box solve that? The USPS employees have your home address on file with the PO Box number. Plus if they wanted to pilfer coin shipments to you, it would be no more difficult to do so from a PO Box.

Some people get more cautious about the potential of mail theft and folks seeing it that way. Also, just getting into the POBox is less eyes than getting to your delivery person who drives by your house, sees your house, knows when you are out, etc etc etc

There are unscrupulous individuals (i.e non-USPS employees) who will go through someone else's mail box in order to search for, among other things, credit cards and other sensitive financial information. If a coin magazine appeared, I think there is a favorable chance that the result would not be good and the odds of a robbery would seemingly increase.

Also, if you are selling items, a P.O. Box is an imperative from my point of view for the return address.

If you are going to get coin stuff through the mail, you are going to have to live with the postal empolyees knowing about it. The people I'm more concerned about are those who might go through your home mail box or a goof up when the postal person puts something in the wrong box.

Yes, they can put a coin related thing in the wrong PO box, but all the PO box person has is a name and the number of a PO box.

Many, many years ago when I lived in New Jersey I lived in an apartment. The PO box hung outside my door and a lot of what was in it was visible to anyone who walked by. You can imagine my unrest when I came home one day to see an envelope with a big coin picture on it hanging out of my box. It was an invitation to a robbery. That's when I learned my lesson about getting numismatic mail delievered at home.

I get the digital subscription. It gives me the special monthly edition by snail mail in a wrapper.

You can also pay extra for a snail mail subscription to have them sent in a wrapper.

Hi Dave,

I'm also a member of the ANA.

Can you tell me how to get this free subscription?

That's news to me and I've been an ANA member for several years.

I know that CW did allow ANA members to view the special ANA issue last month.

Can you point me to the part of the ANA site where I can glom onto the free sub?

That'll free up a few bucks for more coins! :D

leeg and TheCoinGeezer:

Apparently my information is out of date.

You may recall that Coin World used to have an on-line only subscription option for $9.99.

Well, up until at least this past December, Coin World offered a free on-line only subscription with ANA membership (including Basic membership, which is what I have).

I spoke to the ANA today and they confirmed that Coin World doesn't offer this anymore. What they do offer is a $4.00 discount on the Monthly Paper/Rest of Year Online subscription offer. You can access this offer in the Members' Only section of the ANA website.

I looked at the Coin World website and they no longer offer an on-line only subscription.

(Which is annoying, since I really like that less expensive - and less clutter - option. I would speculate that their advertisers believe that getting the Monthly edition on paper works better for them. I guess that's true, as it's easy for me to skip over the ads when reading the on-line edition of Coin World.)