• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

21 year old man gets caught trying to sell stollen coins

13 posts in this topic

Today I was at a Coin Shop in Virginia Beach, Va the owner of the store is a Cop. At about 10:50am a man's house was broken into in Virginia Bach. $2200-$2500 in gold and silver coins were stollen with some other stuff. The police called all the coin shops in the area to lookout for anybody who might try to sell a large quantity of coins. Around about 1pm a 21yr old male comes walking in and stars pulling out these a bunch of coins and copper bars out of his bag. At the same time the victim is on the phone talking to the Coin Shop owner who is also a Cop. While this is going on another Coin Dealer who is a retired Cop comes in the store. After 20 min on the phone the The shop Owner realizes that the coins are stollen because they fit the description given by the victim. the shop owner/Cop comes around the corner and tackles the young man. the other coin dealer helps him put on the cuffs. i stood at the door because the 21 yr man was trying to get away. the police came and took the man away.

Today I was at a Coin Shop in Virginia Beach, Va the owner of the store is a Cop. At about 10:50am a man's house was broken into in Virginia Bach. $2200-$2500 in gold and silver coins were stollen with some other stuff. The police called all the coin shops in the area to lookout for anybody who might try to sell a large quantity of coins.
Struggling to see how a large quantity of gold and silver coins amounts to $2500.

Lance.

Today I was at a Coin Shop in Virginia Beach, Va the owner of the store is a Cop. At about 10:50am a man's house was broken into in Virginia Bach. $2200-$2500 in gold and silver coins were stollen with some other stuff. The police called all the coin shops in the area to lookout for anybody who might try to sell a large quantity of coins.
Struggling to see how a large quantity of gold and silver coins amounts to $2500.

Lance.

doesnt matter if it was $2500 or 25 cents stealing is stealing.I have some lead I would give him for free!!!

...Not to be rude but, I find the story to be a little off.

The coin shop owner is a cop...and another cop who is also a coin dealer arrived while the thief was in the store trying to sell the stolen goods while the victim was on the phone with the coin dealer for 20 minutes? Why would the victim call the coin shop if the police are investigating the theft and also calling the coin shops?

I might have mis-read some of the post but, I have a hard enough time believing what I hear on FOX, this story sounds a little unreal.

I don't know about in VA but I know a coin dealer whos shop got robbed and the police told him to give them descriptions of what is stolen, call his insurance provider and wait for a call from a detective once the fingerprints dusted off the counters are identified. In most cases, the police will alert local pawn shops, jewelers and other coin shops to be on the look out for the items. They actually tell shops to buy the stolen merchandise and have the person fill out the required sale papers, call the PD and then the state either recovers the money to give back to the shop, or the state gives them the money.

But thats in MOST cases but IMO, I find this story hard to believe

-Dave

They actually tell shops to buy the stolen merchandise and have the person fill out the required sale papers, call the PD and then the state either recovers the money to give back to the shop, or the state gives them the money.

In most cases they tell the shops to buy the stolen merchandise and have the person fill out the paperwork, then call the PD. Then if the guy is convicted then it is up to the shop to go after the guy for restitution. The state doesn't give you your money back. As part of the guys sentence they may order him to make restitution, but if he doesn't there often isn't a lot you can do about it.

They actually tell shops to buy the stolen merchandise and have the person fill out the required sale papers, call the PD and then the state either recovers the money to give back to the shop, or the state gives them the money.

In most cases they tell the shops to buy the stolen merchandise and have the person fill out the paperwork, then call the PD. Then if the guy is convicted then it is up to the shop to go after the guy for restitution. The state doesn't give you your money back. As part of the guys sentence they may order him to make restitution, but if he doesn't there often isn't a lot you can do about it.

Correct. The PD want the paperwork in order to charge the guy with filing a false declaration of ownership. In many cases the PD can't prove the same guy is actually the one that took it. Most of the time the shop will never get paid back. In my state the restitution program is a joke.

Correct. The PD want the paperwork in order to charge the guy with filing a false declaration of ownership. In many cases the PD can't prove the same guy is actually the one that took it. Most of the time the shop will never get paid back. In my state the restitution program is a joke.

If this is true, the dealer would be crazy to buy the coins. With their screwy logic, the PD could also charge the dealer with buying stolen property.

As a retired sheriff's investigator with 20 years service, I can tell you we have never told a merchant to buy the stolen property. We have advised them to stall until we got there or get as much info as possible if the thief leaves before we arrive., to make an arrest for receiving stolen property. Unless you catch the thief comming out of the residence you can't charge (in most cases) with the actual theft. To ask the citizen to risk his own cash is out of the question. That is why pawn shops fill out the cards and just pray they don't lose their money if the items turn up stolen. In which most cases they do.

wheat