• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage: Prooflike Peace Dollar

111 posts in this topic

The picture doesn't show Pl however it looks clean and all! Mumu if you are able to view it, pls take pics! Maybe bring your Pl looking one and compare it side by side.......

The picture doesn't show Pl however it looks clean and all! Mumu if you are able to view it, pls take pics! Maybe bring your Pl looking one and compare it side by side.......

How about I do this.

I am going to go down there on that Monday. I have a camera that is a little bit better than a cell phone. Its a Nikon so I can bring my laptop and do a transfer. I will gladly go there and report back publicly and share some pics. I am definitely out of the running for this one anywhere over 1500$ and I am pretty sure Zboyle is willing to blast that over 2000$ on his own so Im not even going to bid the 1500$ i would bid if this was say Ebay. I would just go there as a P$ afficionado.

HOWEVER...If someone is wanting to make a run at this, and would like my insider info as far as pics and opinion, and is willing to make the trip worth my while with maybe a widget giveaway and a couple Geno's cheesesteaks, I will gladly give up that service to 1 high bidder :D I hope that doesnt cross any grey lines of solicitations because I am 100% willing to go there on my own and just share the pics with everyone at no cost and just see the coin for myslelf.

Also is viewing available as of the 14th? Id probably go there earlier if they are viewable at all times during bidding.

HOWEVER...If someone is wanting to make a run at this, and would like my insider (ha!) info as far as pics and opinion, and is willing to make the trip worth my while with maybe a couple Geno's cheesesteaks.

You know it is kind of funny as I always pictured you as the kind of guy with a little cardboard sign that said "will work for food". Be strong brother ;)

HOWEVER...If someone is wanting to make a run at this, and would like my insider (ha!) info as far as pics and opinion, and is willing to make the trip worth my while with maybe a couple Geno's cheesesteaks.

You know it is kind of funny as I always pictured you as the kind of guy with a little cardboard sign that said "will work for food". Be strong brother ;)

Will you be at the philly show? Lets get a steak together. My treat. South philly would be a perfect place for you and I to meet up ;)

Many people including top dealers offer auction represtnetion BTW. This is somewhat similar. You would know that if you had a clue about the coin hobby whatsoever.

Mumu, I reckon once you see the coin and how prooflike it us, you may just go ahead and bid and add it to your collection

Watch out for Feldini.....if he sees the coin and likes it, uh oh.....:)

Mumu, I reckon once you see the coin and how prooflike it us, you may just go ahead and bid and add it to your collection

Watch out for Feldini.....if he sees the coin and likes it, uh oh.....:)

Yeah I am pretty sure I am going to be outgunned at any price Id be willing to go. And its really not that high based on those images. I wouldnt trade my 1921 for it as of right now. If I didnt have the 22-D i might think differently, but I paid 70$ for that...hard to imagine paying much more just for the attribution which may or many not be a good one at that.

Well attribution can make a cheap coin into a money maker. If you could so you think you can bring your 22 and put it side by side so we can see the difference? It might not be nice but theory could also be a big difference.

If I was doing a ngc Pl registry, I'd be all over it.

It does make me think.....do buff nickels come in proof like? There is a member ats buffnixx that has some he says are Pl but not designated.

Well attribution can make a cheap coin into a money maker. If you could so you think you can bring your 22 and put it side by side so we can see the difference? It might not be nice but theory could also be a big difference.

It does make me think.....do buff nickels come in proof like? There is a member ats buffnixx that has some he says are Pl but not designated.

I actually am toying with a PL registry, but I haven't gotten that far other than a few moderns, a Seated Liberty Half Dime (old line no fatty before PL designations were applied to this series), and a Morgan. Buffalo nickels are also difficult to find in PL condition, but they do exist.

Many people including top dealers offer auction represtnetion BTW. This is somewhat similar. You would know that if you had a clue about the coin hobby whatsoever.

It is true that many dealers do lot screening for clients. Some, like Mark Feld and myself, do it without charging some clients anything. Others, though, generally charge a percentage of the winning bid only if their client wins the coin. The dealers are also putting their professional reputations on the line by giving comments on the coin. While your offer is somewhat similar, it is definitely not the same thing and offering the services for a price within this thread seems distasteful.

also, i am not very familiar with HA, the listing says bidding begins 07/14, but then it says right under that the auction date 08/02- 08/03 ??? do i have until 08/02 or 08/03 to sell everything i own or must i do this by 07/14 ???:)

I know some might think I am saying this so we arent competing, but honestly I wouldnt sell everything you own for that coin. Maybe a different coin but not that coin. Just saying......

I wouldn't either, but if the price is right, I would have some interest in the coin (provided that it passes an in hand inspection). I agree about not going crazy either. My estimate was a worst case scenario; it is strong money, and given prospective competition from at least two members (including Jerseycat who made the $3k offer here at one time and PhysicsFan3.14), it could happen.

It is true that many dealers do lot screening for clients. Some, like Mark Feld and myself, do it without charging some clients anything. Others, though, generally charge a percentage of the winning bid only if their client wins the coin. The dealers are also putting their professional reputations on the line by giving comments on the coin. While your offer is somewhat similar, it is definitely not the same thing and offering the services for a price within this thread seems distasteful.

I was searching for the right words and here they were all along. I hope he was only joking. MJ

I would do the 22-D tho Im not sure how much they'd let me touch the other one. Not sure if side by sides would be allowed. But i could do both coins in the same lighting et cetera if Id be allowed to photograph the 34 at all?

Maybe maybe not. But others have done it. And I doubt anywone would take me up on it, nor would I plan it to be a venture of mine so dont worry. I expect to go either way and would gladly share the pics for free. I think that part was clear enough and I am sure that if anyone really wanted an opinion, you know the big hitters, theyd go to the great MFled or yourself and not me, so again, I dont think youd have anything to worry about. Im sure ill be buying my own cheeseteaks. Some of you guys are really uptight. I guess cliches are for a reason. Well really uptight with certain people anyway. I guess the guys who buy coins from other guys get passes. If I did what crypto was doing here Id get reprimanded im sure but no one says a word to him. He must buy a lot of coins.

Maybe maybe not. But others have done it. And I doubt anywone would take me up on it, nor would I plan it to be a venture of mine so dont worry. I expect to go either way and would gladly share the pics for free. I think that part was clear enough and I am sure that if anyone really wanted an opinion, you know the big hitters, theyd go to the great MFled or yourself and not me, so again, I dont think youd have anything to worry about. Im sure ill be buying my own cheeseteaks. Some of you guys are really uptight. I guess cliches are for a reason. Well really uptight with certain people anyway. I guess the guys who buy coins from other guys get passes. If I did what crypto was doing here Id get reprimanded im sure but no one says a word to him. He must buy a lot of coins.

Personally I think you have a chip on your shoulder and a pebble in your shoe.

But that's just probably me.

My advise to anyone would be to quit worrying about other guys and perceived fairness. MJ

If I didnt have the 22-D i might think differently, but I paid 70$ for that...hard to imagine paying much more just for the attribution which may or many not be a good one at that.

B-I-N-G-O. Smart man.

Jerseycat saying that only because he doesn't want competition :D :D j/k

lol

In actuality, I am unimpressed with the images provided by Heritage.

If they are, in fact, indicative of the coin in hand, I would pass at any price.

I plan on doing lot viewing on this auction for several coins, so maybe it will talk to me then.

Jerseycat saying that only because he doesn't want competition :D :D j/k

I have no horse in this race, but the Heritage images are either:

1) Representative of the coin, and it is not a very attractive coin.

or

2) It's a run of the mill MS64 coin that slipped by with the PL designation.

or

3) Not representative of the coin and it is an absolute monster.

Until I hear an in-hand description of the coin by someone whose opinion I trust, my gut tells me #1 is probably close to the truth.

Any slab shots of this one anywhere? I wish they had additional pics that emphasized the mirroring. It seems kinda low to me. Relative to the Morgan Criteria. Makes me think my 22-D has a shot to cross with at least the *. I am going to be on the sidelines for this one. Hope someone here wins it and shows it off to us with better pics. Good luck.

It is early yet and they will likely include slab shots later on that will give us a better idea of the luster and surfaces (those of us who can't view it in person).

For now, I'll say that I think that I like what I see in this coin. I may change my mind later after better images become available but for now I like it.

Nobody says anything to Crypto because quite Frankly he is lame and not worth any of our time.

Lets not forget the proof walker that Mark Feld paid big bucks for......online pics of that coin were horrible but it turned out to be a monster coin :)

I don't know what crypto did so I cannot comment. I can say, however, that crypto is one of the vast number of board members who has never purchased a single coin from me, nor had me lot view for them.

I don't know what crypto did so I cannot comment. I can say, however, that crypto is one of the vast number of board members who has never purchased a single coin from me, nor had me lot view for them.

Same here, as best I can remember. What he has done, recently, however, is (apparently) try to stir things up here, without adding anything of value.

And I hope he honors the promise he made, to have a giveaway of a silver eagle, for the guess the grade bet he lost to me.

Something was brought to my attention and I will be pulling myself out of the bidding for this coin. I do however have something awesome planned for you all ;)

Something was brought to my attention and I will be pulling myself out of the bidding for this coin. I do however have something awesome planned for you all ;)

You are leaving the NGC Forum?

MJ

You are leaving the NGC Forum?

MJ

:popcorn: