• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MY VERY FIRST AND HOPFULLY NOT MY LAST JOURNAL ENTRY posted by wmfielding

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A ROOKIE'S FIRST JOURNAL

HELLO AND GOD BLESS TO ALL THE PEOPLE HERE AT NGC THAT HAVE HELPED ME AND DID;NT KNOW IT......

I SATARTED COLLECTING COINS AS A HOBBY IN FEB. OF THIS YEAR. RIGHT NOW I AM WORKING ON PROOF SETS FROM THE YEAR OF MY BIRTH 1960 TO PRESENT AND WITH VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY GRADING RESULTS I HAVE OVER 40 PF 70 COINS AND A COUPLE HUNDRED PF 69S WHICH I AM VERY HAPPY TO CALL MIND AT LEAST FOR NOW AS I'M COLLECTING FOR MY GRAND CHILDRENS COLLAGE FUND.

I HAVE A COUPLE QUESTIONS IF YOU ALL DONT MIND ANSWERING...

1) I HAD A 1971 PROOF SET AND A 1971 D SET COME BACK WITH DETAILS IMPROPER CLEANING EVEN THOUGH THE SETS WERE SENT IN UNOPENED MINT PACKAGING. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM?

2) I AM LOOKING FOR A 1979 AND 1981 TYPE 2 PROOF AND MINT SETS ANYONE KNOW OF SOMEWHERE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO PICK THESE UP?

3) I'M A PHOTOGHPER AND PLAN ON TAKING PHOTO'S OF ALL MY GRADED COINS BOTH FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES AND TO UPLOAD TO NGC IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO THIS OR AM I STUCK PAYING NGC FOR PICTURES OF MY COINS (I WANT TO HELP MY RANKINGS )

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL POST AND HAPPY COLLECTING

WMFIELDING

See more journals by wmfielding

Welcome. But, please don't use all capital letters.

Also, why no just join the forums and post where more people can see your comments and offer assistance? There's no cost.

Hello WMF,

I agree with RWB, please use less Capital letters, some of us old folks have weak eyes....

I started from scratch back in November 2011. RWB is absolutly correct again when suggesting to post on the various forums. There are numerous forums and each have their own group topic. You will find your answers there faster.

As for the unopened mint/Proof packing....you did not mention if by unopenned you mean that you purchase the two sets directly from the U.S. Mint or, you bought the two sets from a dealer. If they came from a dealer, there are two possible senerios.

Scenerio one--- The sets were opened decades ago, taken out of the packing and placed into an holder and the packing was saved. Then years later in order to sell the coins at a higher price, taken out of their holders, dusted off with a cleaning rag and then replaced into their original packing.

Scenerio two--- After the original purchase of these two sets they were simply packed away in a box for--their grandchildrens education-- as years went by, they ended up in the attic or basement (yes, some homes still have basements) where they were exposed to up to forty years of excess heat that resealed to openned packing. Then when rediscovered Scenerio one may have come into play.

I buy my raw coins primarily from one guy locally. He goes to estate sales and purchases coins by the wheel barrel full. 90% of the sets envelopes are damaged, some severe. He had about twenty or so late 1950 and early 1960 Proof sets this past week that were all -- sealed--. Some with notes on the outside that reads-- coin inside is frosty and cameo. I say had because after checking them, I now own nearly all of them.

I will pass on the best lesson that I have learned from the collectors on this site: research, research, research. Everything else falls into place after this basic rule: know your stuff.

Ok, this post is about the longest I have every written but, I hope it was hopeful not only to you but, for those who read it. You have provided some good questions and someone else out there is wondering the same thing.

Best wishes,

Semper Fi !

Jack

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL CAPS?

some people are not the best typers or spellers.

We won't hold that against you!

If you have any questions just ask just about anyone, but be polite. If you do not get a response then just ask someone else.

PF70UC is the way to go! :banana:

Welcome aboard Rookie #2 for the week!! Capital letters is fine as long as you get the answers you are looking for.The rest of Jack Robinson's essay above is the most important.

KNOWLEDGE!!!!

Thank you for the great info....I mostly type in caps my eyesight is not what it used to be and my spelling well lets just say a 10 year old is better at it than me but remember I went to a west virginia public school...lol on my way to the post office to pick up my latest order from NGC. can't wait to get them in the safe.....God Bless you all and happy collecting....Mike

Good first post. I see most of your questions are answered, but I don't see an answer to your #3. When you add a coin to a set or to Collection Manager, you can upload digital photos of both the obverse and reverse of the coin. When you add the coin, you'll see a section labeled "Upoad Images" and buttons for "Browse". Click on "Browse", find your image file and save it.

On-line, all CAPS is equal to shouting.

You can make the text bigger on screen by typing [ Ctrl +]. The expression [ Ctrl -] will make it smaller.