• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rookie and beginner posted by usgitmo33

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

i just started collecting coins.

I have been collecting coins for about three months. so far i have a 1861 $2.50 Liberty Gold coin, 1858 flying eagle cent, 1925 stone mount, 1831 half dollar bust cap, 1852 3 cent silver, 1952 washington-carver, 1946-s booker t washington, 1906 barber half, (2) 1829 half cent, 1858 seated half, 1941 half walking liberty, 1971-s and 1972-s IKE silver, 1922 and 1928 peace dollars, 1828 large cent, (4) mercury 1924 dimes, 1837 Bust dime, 1867 3cent piece, 1935 and 1936 buffalo nickels, 1886 and 1895 indian cent, 1882 morgan dollar, 1875 seated dime, 1893 columbian expo, 1968 JFK Half silver, 1787 post colonial(british), (2) barber quarters 1908 and 1915-s, 1893 5 cent silver, 1893 and 1895 Lib (V) nickel, 1892 and 1920-s and 1928 standing liberty quarters, 24kt Gold mini double eagle, 1780 restrike (m. theresia), 1 gram gold bar

See more journals by usgitmo33

Find a series or 3 you really like then focus on them. I like mercury dimes, peace dollars, and 1st gen commotatives. Best of luck in all your endeavours.

Malcolm

Nice start to the hobby. I second what was said above, find a coin that you really like and stick to that one. I made the mistake buying everything that made me drool... should have stuck to Morgans only.

All these tips so far given are great tips. May I add that educating yourself about the coins you are interested in is the best thing you can do to enjoy the hobby and get the most out of it. That said there is much that you can glean from these boards, so let me extend you a hearty welcome and my best wishes for you in all your collecting endeavors!

Gary

KennethF - Nice photo, but why is there a lawnmower in the center, under the banner?

Welcome to the trenches! All the advice given is great... I'd like to add one more thing: Quality over Quantity. If you have the choice between two lesser coins, and one higher, then choose the higher. I'm not just talking about grade, but eye appeal, strike, etc. Learn to be picky, and only get the coin that really wows you when you see it.

Happy Hunting!

KennethF - Nice photo, but why is there a lawnmower in the center, under the banner?

Probably that Lawnmower is a 105mm Howitzer?

Welcome to the boards!!

You have made a great start and it looks very familiar to most of us!! I think everyone starts by buying every coin that grabs your eye and has no real plan. Feel free to continue like that, after all it is your collection, but I do suggest taking some time to study the hobby. You will find it is a wonderful pastime that caters to all tastes and budgets. I started collecting back in 2003 and was grabbing every coin that I saw. It wasn't untill I found this site that my collection found some shape and purpose. You can learn so much from the other members like all of the quality suggestions above but there are a few rules that every newbie needs to remember about this hobby...

1. Buy the book then the coin. (learn about the series before you jump in)

2. Buy the coin not the plastic. (don't fall into the registry madness and buy ugly coins for the grade on the slab)

3. Buy the coins that you like. (always buy coins that appeal to you no matter what the coin snobs say).