• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it worth it to submit IKES to CAC?

17 posts in this topic

I own a complete set of MS Eisenhower Dollars. Most of the coins are either the top POP or one grade lower. I noticed CAC began accepting IKES on May 1.

Gary

Is it worth it to submit ANY coin to CAC?

Is it worth it to submit ANY coin to a Grading Service?

I think the two questions have the same answer.

I have some IKE's that I'll be submitting just to keep up with the Jones but thats the only reason.

I actually appreciate the fact that the Eisenhower Dollar has been deemed worthy enough for CAC submissions which is saying a lot. Currently, its the only modern designed coin, as a circulating series, which enjoys this priviledge.

As a follow up question, would anyone recommend that there be a certain population number that applies to require a sticker? As an example, my 1972S Eisenhower in MS69, has a population of 4. A green sticker would help that coin, but would it help a coin with a population of 175?

Are you going to sell them soon?

If they do not CAC, are you going to try to upgrade with better coin of same grade?

Do you need help grading / finding problems with IKES?

Do you like stickers on slabs?

Does any registry give more points for CAC stickered?

Will you feel better with CAC stickers on your slabs?

Why is CAC doing Ikes vs other coins like jeffs or dimes???

I spoke to John about this and he said that many Ike collectors came to him and requested that CAC starts taking them. I'm guessing many are AT'd? I'm not sure what else must be done with them?

No, yes, no, no, no, no. My set is going to the Eisenhower Museum. I am trying to put together the best set possible. Any coin with a sticker would have the sticker taken off before donation. It was a general question to help people that are new to the hobby. I thought that was part of the purpose of this board. Plus, I usually try to answer the question without asking 6 other questions.

I just thought about submitting my IKS to CAC after reading a full page article about it in The Numismatist. In that article there are several valid points, and much of it has to do with the limited availability of Eisenhower Dollars above MS-65. Another factor is a growing interest in IKES and a need to have consistent grading by both NGC and PCGS. Still yet another reason is the prevalence of weak strikes, planchet striations, and annealing chatter. I originally posed the question for the purpose of getting other thoughts on the subject and weighing out my options.

Gary

No, yes, no, no, no, no. My set is going to the Eisenhower Museum. I am trying to put together the best set possible. Any coin with a sticker would have the sticker taken off before donation. It was a general question to help people that are new to the hobby. I thought that was part of the purpose of this board. Plus, I usually try to answer the question without asking 6 other questions.

Since you will be donating them to the museum, I don't see the necessity of submitting them for a green beanie, especially since you intend to remove the sticker before donating them. I think it would just be a waste of money.

I doubt that the curator or any of the other staff at the museum will examine them that closely to determine if they are worthy.

Chris

Now that you answered my questions -

No, do not submit your coins to CAC - it would be a waste of your money that you could donate elsewhere, and there is no worth to you at all.

But for other people, it could be worthwhile, especially if they plan on selling them in an auction during the nest couple of years.

if they are top pops or one under it is well worth submitting them as you might get a gold sticker and even if not worth it if you are a collector at 10 bucks a pop with credit if any dont sticker

also it will give you an idea of waht the market is seeking in regards to grades

a win win in my OPINION

if those were my coins they would be there already

and if you deside to do it let me know your results

GOOD LUCK (thumbs u

The Top Pops are worth submitting.

I agree with this and perhaps a few of the better known varieties. I would NOT submit common MS65-MS66s though (and I use the term "common" loosely - I understand that the business strikes are difficult to find without a significant number of contact marks).