• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Parsippany, NJ Coin Show Report

7 posts in this topic

The monthly Parsippany, NJ coin show is tomorrow from around 8am to 1pm. I will be set up with my friend in the main room on the far left wall as you walk in. Please stop by and say hello! I will have freebies for YN's!

Report posted below!

So today was the monthly Parsippany, NJ coin show featuring about 100 dealers with a variety of US coins, bullion and paper money. There is also a smattering of foreign coins as well. Since this is considered a holiday weekend, and it is following Baltimore, I was expecting it to be very light. And my guess was dead on! Many dealer tables were empty and some had new faces that may have been filling in for the day.

Usually this show is buzzing with activity on the floor, and that was significantly lacking today. It seemed there were very few retail customers at all. Most of those walking around knew very little about coins, and just came to browse or to sell some bullion. It seemes the show today was very bullion driven.

Since I do not deal in bullion, it was a dead show for me. I had zip in retail sales. In walking the floor, there was pretty much no quality material out there (big surprise). The one dealer who has decent stuff, I have seen before. It was however nice to see a good number of younger collectors walking the floor with their parents. Any of them who walked passed my table got a free buffalo nickel and a small American Flag! :)

In a last ditch effort, I packed up my inventory and walked the floor. I managed to sell two coins I wanted to unload. I basically sold them at cost, but that was fine with me. I would rather get the cash in for something else.

I purchased two coins at the show. One simply for novelty, and one for resale. The novelty was a holed Fugio, and the resale coin was a raw VG 1921D Walker Half.

Hopefully next month will have more retail traffic.

Thanks for reading!

Ankur

I was only at the show for a short time, but I can confirm Ankur's impression - this show and the August show are generally a lot quieter than the shows the rest of the year, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

I noticed that some of the New Jersey crowd was back from Baltimore - they looked a little ragged, generally.