• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions? Proof sets in Capital Plastics holders

7 posts in this topic

I am always working on my #1 collection of proof sets dated 1936 - 1969. As I upgrade (which is rare, but does happen), I cascade the lesser coin down to my #2 set(s), which are in Capital Plastics holders. My #1 set sits very nicely in a Dansco "Year Set" album. Incidentally, I only upgrade the coins dated 1950 and after. I don't want to double my "investment" in the expensive pre-1950 sets, which is why I'm extremely selective with those coins (and don't have those years finished yet lol ).

There are advantages and disadvantages to the CPs.

I like that I can look at a single year's coins all by itself. The sets store conveniently in a single cardboard box. The holders simply look NICE, in my opinion, and I try to use only older holders that have a slightly "rustic used" look to them.

The disadvantage is the annoyance of having to undo six plastic screws in order to access the coins. Another problem is that the holders do have little annoying scratches that come along with having "used" sets (much like scuffs and scratches on slabs).

I am considering putting all of my #2 set coins into a second album, and am just wondering what other experiences and preferences have been. Thanks.

James,

I used to use Capital Plastics holders for many sets, but like you I found the plastic screws to be an annoyance. I upgraded the plastic screws to metal screws hoping that this would make unscrewing easier which it did, but I still found it annoying.

At the time I was upgrading Lincoln cents rather frequently as I searched through bags of wheat cents, so perhaps if I had been upgrading less it wouldn't have been much of an issue. Regardless, I switched to albums and never looked back. I still use capital plastics holders when giving gifts, because as you said they do look very nice! But for my personal collection I use albums or occasionally air-tites - no more unscrewing and obsessing about scratching the holders for me. I also think I tend to look at my coins more in album format more. I don't have much of an explanation for that, maybe its because they resemble a book...whatever the reason behind it though, I like that I spend more time with them than I used to.

I have about 5 or 6 proof sets from the 50's and sixties in cap holders. I bought them that way and since I don't plan on expanding the collection of these, there they sit. I actually have never taken the coins out of the holders, nor unscrewed them. I'm still novice enough in my mind, that I won't take them out for fear of ruining them.

I like capital plastics holders myself, on thing I do with both albums and cp holders is to wait till I have all the coins I need before I put them in. Reason is to avoid slid marks with albums and PITA of opening the CP holders more then once. Till then I either just keep them in a mylar flip or coin tight.

I think capital plastic holders are cool. They display coins really nicely and I don't bother opening them up once they are in there though

As a long time user of Capital Plastics holders, since the mid 1960's, I can't relate to the difficulity of removing and reinstalling the plastic screws. The ten fasteners on the BVD series holders don't take me over 2 minutes to remove, and don't need to be assembled very tight to do their job. But I don't open my holders frequently, for example when I do the annual additions to my cents I install the updates at the same time, so that holder is opened once a year.

I like the superior protection they offer my coins and not having to deal with the plastic slide scratch potential of albums.