• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1940-S Jefferson Nickel -- GRADE POSTED

18 posts in this topic

Give this one a shot, it is in an NGC holder. It is for sure not FS, so just guess the numeric (technical) grade. Comments and discussion welcome!

127786.jpg.be95cd63acc8969f5cc0eb8f82a05ed3.jpg

127787.jpg.0c841d0bfec5bcdda6122651238c74d6.jpg

I'm staking out ms 65 just because the hit is in the most obvious area.

WARNING: "Hits" on highly magnified images appear worse than they really are. :grin:

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Here it is together with it's holder label. Thanks for all the guesses.

It's a very nice coin. Also, you might want to ask Condor, but I believe that this particular slab is scarce. My understanding is that NGC used he "W" and the "T" designations for a short period of time, and that there are relatively few coins out there with the "T" designation especially.

Here it is together with it's holder label. Thanks for all the guesses.

It's a very nice coin. Also, you might want to ask Condor, but I believe that this particular slab is scarce. My understanding is that NGC used he "W" and the "T" designations for a short period of time, and that there are relatively few coins out there with the "T" designation especially.

I am aware, but thanks Kenny.

The holder is the NGC Gen 8 holder, used for about 4 weeks in Sep/Aug 2000.

The "W" and "T" designations were used for about 2.5 years. The exact quantity of coins slabbed during that time that received the designations is unclear, but Lehigh recently wrote up a nice post over on CT that you can read if you want more details on the "W" and "T" designations from NGC: Link here.