• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

False Alarm: My priority mail package was due MONDAY...

24 posts in this topic

Updated in post below.

...is now a good time to panic?!

The priority mail (USPS insured - minimal insurance due to being privately insured with Hugh Wood) package was mailed last Friday from CAC and due on Monday (Colorado). It's killing me. Anyone have a similar experience for the same time period?

As of tomorrow, CAC will agree that it's time to be concerned. I'm already dreading what's that the likely outcome is I lost my stuff. Worst of all, I might get what I paid out of the insurance, due to my limits, but I will lose on the fact that there was some growth on the pieces and one of those pieces was extremely hard to find in the first place. So, just getting my money back will be hardly consoling. I guess I'll be posting the coins and their PCGS serial numbers very soon. DAMN.

USPS priority mail is never a priority. It will arrive... its just taking a tour of America before it gets to you. One average, my "priority mail" arrives 5-7 days after the "expected delivery" date.

Lately, my Priority Registered packages take anywhere from two days to nine days to be delivered. I don't think you should worry until at least ten days have past.

never thought about that

i bet the fires have delayed/waylayed the shipment

my guess you will have it the end of this week or beginning of next week

I waited 2 months for a packaged once due to flooding. Until they say its lost or tracking shows its lost don't panic. Mail is always slow that's why its called snail mail.

Did you send it registered (over the priority mail tier)? If so, the delay isn't unusual. If you just sent in normal Priority, then I think you are entitled to a refund (by USPS regulations) if it isn't delivered within a certain frame (I think Priority is 3-5 days).

I waited 2 months for a packaged once due to flooding. Until they say its lost or tracking shows its lost don't panic. Mail is always slow that's why its called snail mail.

Mail is NOT always slow. A good many packages (and letters) are delivered very quickly - within 2 or 3 days.

Mark I think you are wrong for once ... I see it clearly

Its right there ... so he has a little wait yet :o)

127744.jpg.28d38e4f630241a6a86071d9396ac60e.jpg

I'm a little embarrassed but I'm a heck of a lot more relieved. The coins ended up at my PO Box instead of my home address. The strange thing is that I confirmed with CAC the address they sent it to and they stated my home address which is also the only address I thought they had. Such a weight has been lifted.

I have had a coin stolen through the mail before, but fortunately it was one that I was returning to a dealer. I have never lost any of my own coins and that was not a good feeling.

Sorry if it seemed like I cried wolf.

And, thanks Mark for some comic relief. The package actually arrived within 3 days.

I can say that when I felt a package was "late" and I call the people to who sent it to inquire about it, the vast majority of the time the damn thing shows up the same day...never fails...I'm always embarrassed.

So now I just go ahead and inquire knowing full well this will trigger the "show up" event....damn PO!

jom

If you just sent in normal Priority, then I think you are entitled to a refund (by USPS regulations) if it isn't delivered within a certain frame (I think Priority is 3-5 days).

I don't believe Priority has a delivery time frame. Priority is just expensive first class mail. It is just dumped in with the rest of the first class mail and travels along with it. Express and overnight do have guaranteed delivery times.

How long mail takes also seems to depend on where it is mailed from. We all know that Registered is typically very slow and people will tell you that media mail can take weeks. But I've never had a registered package that I have sent take longer than 3 to 5 days and I've never had media mail take as long as a week. Even going all the way across the country.

USPS priority mail is never a priority. It will arrive... its just taking a tour of America before it gets to you. One average, my "priority mail" arrives 5-7 days after the "expected delivery" date.

I sent a firstclass package from where I live, Lakeland FL, to a buyer in St Augustine FL.. USPS routed it from my area, to Ohio and then to St. Augustine FL. 3 days longer than it should have been.

I know I read about another member on here having a coin go from them, to Alaska, and then to California? I think. But All I remember is USPS sent it on a senic route.

-Dave

I once actually had a package show up from Alaska overnight. That was bizarre.

Shorter distances (such as to near by states) are usually transported by truck. Mail from Alaska and more distant places is typically flown over, hence the disparity in delivery time.

I never figured on wasting money on priority if it takes just as long as regular mail. jmo

Since I'm only an hour south of Sarasota, I really miss being able to make an appointment to hand-deliver coins to NGC. I fully understand their reasoning for it, but I still miss beng able to visit them.

Chris