• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend Numismatics booted from PCGS authorized dealers list...

20 posts in this topic

after Laura Sperber posted a link to her plea for NGC coins to be in the PCGS registry. Legend and TDN may have possibly been booted from the PCGS boards as well, but I'm not at all sure of that.

I notice ANR isn't on that authorized dealers' list, either.

Unlike the PCGS boards, where gossip reigns supreme, let us wait for the facts from Laura or TDN before we assume they have been booted.

TRUTH

Who the hell cares what PCGS does? After that stupidity with the PNG thing they've lost all credibility with me...anyway.

Who is TDN and ANR?

TDN: Trade Dollar Nut, who is a memeber here and also owns part of Legend Numismatics. And is a Trade Dollar nut...literally. laugh.gif

ANR: American Numismatic Rarities. Relatively new company started by many former Bowers and Merena people.

jom

Maybe we can get Laura to post here from now on. cloud9.gif And Bowers while we are at it! cloud9.gif

I can't imagine them banning TDN since he is a defender of PCGS.

Dennis mentioned that thread to me, and being a banned member myself, I had to check it out. Just read the whole thing, and what I came away with after an hour of my valuable time was ..... pretty much ....... nothing. I guess I'd have to actually care about registry sets to have an opinion! While I certainly respect other collectors' rights to enjoy collecting for a place in a registry, I've never had the slightest interest, and I doubt much of the coin collecting population does either. Honestly, how many people collecting coins really care about what registy set lets whose coins in for whatever reason? I guess I don't understand very well the concept of putting collections together based on someone else's criteria.

James

Who the hell cares what PCGS does? After that stupidity with the PNG thing they've lost all credibility with me...anyway.

Who is TDN and ANR?

TDN: Trade Dollar Nut, who is a memeber here and also owns part of Legend Numismatics. And is a Trade Dollar nut...literally. laugh.gif

ANR: American Numismatic Rarities. Relatively new company started by many former Bowers and Merena people.

jom

Thanks, in all honesty, I could have asked across the street, but when I saw the post here I jumped on it. Shoot 2 days leading up to their boot by PCGS I had a couple PMs from both. TDN's was on, well what else? And Laura's was somewhat related to the current event. Both responses were initiated by me. But, they were nice enough to respond to my questions and give me some damn good advice and well meaning and GREATLY needed direction. This may sound corny, but I don't think I'll be deleting their PMs to me for a long time. Yep, it does sound corny, but so what.

I respect Mr. Hall completely for making a decision on the matter. I don't see any other possible way he could of done it without being placed in the wishy washy category. At least we know where he stands. People might not like it, but there sure ain't NO guessing game with him!

Well, here's a lite side for some humor: Greg, please don't boot me!

Numismatic Rarities Grading Service

"Where the American LEGEND Begins"

We Specialize in Trade Dollars!!!

Thanks all, Jerry confused-smiley-013.gif

I respect Mr. Hall completely for making a decision on the matter. I don't see any other possible way he could of done it without being placed in the wishy washy category. At least we know where he stands. People might not like it, but there sure ain't NO guessing game with him!

Adolf Hitler, Saddam Huisien, Elton John, John Wilkes Booth........you probably have a lot of respect for all these folks as well! 27_laughing.gif But of course, you have the right to voice your opinion! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

David Hall is a coward. Rather than stand up like a man and address the issues with facts, he tries to silence the people with problems and addresses other's concerns about his method with lies and false bravado. He's a pathetic coward. He doesn't deserve respect, because he hasn't earned it!

I don't really look at David as a coward. I think he is smart in one respect. Being the top dog of a company one should never get in a dog fight in public. The results are never good for the company image. He was not so smart with some of the other events. I bet he wishes he could step back in time and correct some of his mistakes. Don't we all?

Elton John?

First PCGS grader? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

No. The first PCGS grader was Stevie Wonder. 27_laughing.gif

jom

Elton John?

First PCGS grader? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

No. The first PCGS grader was Stevie Wonder. 27_laughing.gif

jom

sign-funnypost.gif

-JamminJ

David Hall is fast making himself into a pariah among other prominent dealers. When I was at Central States, many PNG dealers were upset by his childish reaction to the loss of the PNG endorsement for PCGS. Now he’s given the boot to a well-known, respected dealer for speaking the truth.

I’ve said this before, and of course, a lot of collectors don’t like it, but I’ll say it again. PCGS controls the supply of very high grade modern coins. In that way they have a strong influence on their market prices.

The situation that Laura cited illustrates that point. Collector A submits a coin twice for a crossover from NGC to PCGS. PCGS refuses to cross the coin both times. THEN the SAME coin crops up in a PCGS holder with the desired grade in Collector B’s registry set. Collector A is angry, as well he might be, and then over reacts or shows his actual interest numismatics by selling his registry set and leaving the hobby.

The best you can say for PCGS’ behavior is that they did not use due diligence in grading the coin and were guilty of applying their grading standards inconsistently. The worst that you could say was that they did not want to “make” another coin in high grade for an issue of coins that extremely common.

I think that it’s almost to NGC’s advantage NOT to hold the leadership position in the ultra modern coin market. It’s a market that is full of pitfalls, especially when some the extraordinary prices that are paid for these coins are based on very miniscule differences in quality. Any grading service that makes this market runs the risk of discovering that some things are a lot more common than many people thought there were. The result can be some breathtaking drops in market value and a commensurate loss in credibility.

David Hall is fast making himself into a pariah among other prominent dealers. When I was at Central States, many PNG dealers were upset by his childish reaction to the loss of the PNG endorsement for PCGS. Now he’s given the boot to a well-known, respected dealer for speaking the truth.

I’ve said this before, and of course, a lot of collectors don’t like it, but I’ll say it again. PCGS controls the supply of very high modern coins. In that way they have a strong influence on their market prices.

The situation that Laura cited illustrates that point. Collector A submits a coin twice for a crossover from NGC to PCGS. PCGS refuses to cross the coin both times. THEN the SAME coin crops up in a PCGS holder with the desired grade in Collector B’s registry set. Collector A is angry, as well he might be, and then over reacts or shows his actual interest numismatics by selling his registry set and leaving the hobby.

The best you can say for PCGS’ behavior is that they did not use due diligence in grading the coin and were guilty of applying their grading standards inconsistently. The worst that you could say was that they did not want to “make” another coin in high grade for an issue of coins that extremely common.

I think that it’s almost to NGC’s advantage NOT to hold the leadership position in the ultra modern coin market. It’s a market that is full of pitfalls, especially when some the extraordinary prices that are paid for these coins are based on very miniscule differences in quality. Any grading service that makes this market runs the risk of discovering that some things are a lot more common than many people thought there were. The result can be some breathtaking drops in market value and a commensurate loss in credibility.

Until very recently Legend did not deal at all in any modern coins. It would certainly be interesting to know just what modern this was which might have come crashing down if more were made, or crossed, or minted, or whatever. Perhaps it wasn't modern at all and more likely it's age had no bearing whatsoever on whether it crossed or how this plays out.

Until very recently Legend did not deal at all in any modern coins. It would certainly be interesting to know just what modern this was which might have come crashing down if more were made, or crossed, or minted, or whatever. Perhaps it wasn't modern at all and more likely it's age had no bearing whatsoever on whether it crossed or how this plays out.

Depends on what you consider modern. For me it is usually 1965-present. Others it is 20th century. Some people consider it machine struck coins.

From what I have seen, Legend basically doesn't deal in moderns at all (1932-present) with few exceptions - commems, key dates, etc.

The date of the coin is irrelevant. The fact that it failed to cross several times and magically crossed later is.