• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin show "etiquette" as a dealer or collector.

25 posts in this topic

Dealers, when you are at a coin show how important to you are communication and 1 on 1 interaction. I know it could be hard to talk with one collector at a huge show, but how do you "work" your table at a show?

Do you try to attract customers by waving and acknowledging people when they are in your area.

When someone asks to see a coin in a showcase, do you take it out and let them look it over and then move on until they say something.

Do you communicate with a customer/ potential customer so you can find out more about what coins they like or more?

When someone who looked at some of your coins decides not to buy anything, do you say something like " well I thank you for taking the time to browse. Come back again."

If a customer who has been browsing your table and/or other tables near you, do you let them know that if they are looking for something specific, you might have it in a box behind the table?

I have been to 3 coin shows as a dealer, at all 3 I was told by 4 customers from 2 of them that they like how I keep my convo's straight forward but I still make them (the customer) feel "welcome" at my table because I give them more attention than just a hi, if you see something let me know.

What about from you collectors? What do you like in a dealer at a show or at their business location.

As many of you know, I recently have put 100% commitment into my coinshop after 3 years of planning and what not. The reason I wanted to ask those questions was because one person from a coin show I was at last month told me that out of the other 10 dealers at that show, he didn't get more than 1/2 the courtesy and communication from any of them but as he said, "dispite being new to the business, you could fool someone to think you have been a dealer for 5 years.

I thought that was great, and I know its just one person who said that, but if he was being truthful, (I didn't sense any BS from him) That suprises me about some other dealers.

One of the people from a recent show ended up calling me last week to see if I could get some coins for him before the next Zephrhills show in July. He lives 2 hours from there. What suprised me was that he told me that he has a few dealers in his area that are good, and well established and reputable, but he liked my method of customer service and he appreciated me taking 20 minutes at the previous show to discuss some questions he has as a semi new collector. This guy and the other person are 2 different people at the same show.

If you could grade yourself AS A SELLER what would you give yourself on all the questions above. 1 being bad, 10 being "a 5 star seller."

-Dave

I like dealers that like to chat HOWEVER I dislike dealers that ask too many personal questions.....I had one ask what I did for a living, were I lived, what I drive, etc.........

I like dealers that like to chat HOWEVER I dislike dealers that ask too many personal questions.....I had one ask what I did for a living, were I lived, what I drive, etc.........

Wow, that would make me uncomfortable. The only personal questions I ever ask a customer are - their name, -what town they are from. Many people who go to coin shows only go to 3-5 a year, and sometimes they will drive 5 hours and then stay at a hotel near by the show. Knowing if someone lives close to where I do gives me the chance to let them know that I have my location close to them. Other than that, I feel that questions like, how long have you been a collector, what coins do you prefer, and eventually they say something such as, I have a few Dansco albums that I never really do much with but I would like to complete them. That triggers other questions like, what coin is the Album made for? A type set album, Merc dimes? Have you been looking to upgrade some of the coins you have (go from a VF dime to an AU dime)

But what that dealer asked you makes him seem like someone who would call you at 7pm doing a study for a college regarding residental areas and what type of people live there. Overall that is very intrusive.

-Dave

It can be very difficult to give every customer or personal customer the "personal touch". As other board members can attest, when I used to do shows, my table was very frequently completely swamped. It was never unusual for me to have at least five people at my table throughout a large portion of any given show. I guess I talk a lot lol !

I really hate it when I fail to have an opportunity to welcome someone to my table, and they end up leaving before I even have a chance to say hello or Thank You, but it does happen. If I'm engaged with showing someone how to attribute bust dimes, it can be a detail oriented conversation that can't be easily interrupted. But I do try to greet everyone and thank them for stopping by.

I simply smile and ask how are you? And ask if they'd like to see anything.

If they have a younger kid with them, I give a buffalo nickel or Indian head cent for free.

And whether or not they buy something, I say thanks for looking!

Maybe he had the hots for you!

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

What I like when I go to shows are dealers who visit a little bit while you're looking over their inventory.

What I dislike, is when other buyers monopolize a dealer's attention or just sit at the dealer's table for hours on end taking up space other buyers would like to have, if even for a couple of minutes.

Last show I went to near me, my proof dealer, has mostly proofs from older sets, had some new examples of older proofs in his binders. However, when I went to look at them there was an old couple sitting at the table slowly going through them.

So I decided to walk around and look at other tables and thought by the time I get back to the proof dealer's table the couple would have found something, bought it and left.

Not a chance. Still sitting there, slowly going through the binders. Checking a price list he made prior to coming to the show. Must have been 50 coins listed.

This couple sat there for 2 hours, slowly going through the pages of the binders, checking their list, and back to the binders.

I wanted to smack them both. I hate that.

Finally! After all that time, they get up. I ask the dealer, "Did they buy anything from you? I mean they've been sitting here the past couple of hours."

He said, "Nope. They were checking prices and weren't happy with what they saw."

I suggested he put a maximum time limit on how long people can sit there looking through his binders. That would give other buyers a chance to sit and look too.

Maybe he had the hots for you!

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Though assumption of gender preference of the second party (or first party) might be....

Respectfully, always,

John Curlis

I don't mind if someone sits at my table to chat or look at a coin for a little while. All I ask is they not sprawl their bag/greysheet etc on top of my case.

I don't mind if someone sits at my table to chat or look at a coin for a little while. All I ask is they not sprawl their bag/greysheet etc on top of my case.

... or the mustard oozing off of their super-deluxe corndog special.

I suggested he put a maximum time limit on how long people can sit there looking through his binders. That would give other buyers a chance to sit and look too.

The dealer should figure out a courteous way to find out if they had found anything they liked after 10 minutes or so. If they thought the prices were all high on for the first 10 pages of proof sets, most likely they'd think all the prices were high. Once the dealer established that he didn't have any older proof sets that matched the pricing sheet they copied from their 1973 Blue Book, he could suggest they allow other customers to see the sets.

As a collector, I would not take offense if a dealer politely asked me to move on if I was just chatting or loitering. Id do the same.

What do you think?

I'm often one of those people who is just loitering and chatting. But I also know that the dealer is there to do business. I try to stay out of the way and if someone comes up I excuse myself and let the customer talk with the dealer or look at the coins. If he starts to get busy I'll leave and come back later. At a coin show business is always first. The dealer has paid for that table and he needs to be able to deal with his customers.

I agree with Conder101. I really enjoy talking to dealers at shows and some of them are friends of mine and I'm sure they enjoy talking with me,as well. But I will let them attend to their business, if they have customers waiting and I am not buying something from them at that moment. It's just common courtesy.

One thing that bugs me is when someone puts a soda on the displaycase glass. If they sit there for even 5 minutes. I have to lock the cases, put some stuff away, leave my table, get a paper towel from somewhere and come back and wipe away the "ring." For all I know someone saw a coin that they wanted to buy, waited a minute and then left because I had to get a napkin. :mad:

I think many people put their bags on the dealers table because they don't want to put it on the floor next to them where it could get snatched. I remember seeing a guy at the FUN show in Orlando who had a bungee cord type rig going from his belt to a Plano tacklebag. I guess it worked like a wallet chain.

Good idea, I have to admit. Better than being handcuffed to a Pelican case! :grin:

Once someone stops by my table, if I'm not already helping someone else, I usually ask if they are looking for something specific that I can help them find. If they say "no," I let them browse. If they are looking for a particular date, I will see if I have it, show it to them, and perhaps point out some specific details about that coin or if there is any back story, like where it came from, if it is a special variety, or if it has any major flaws, etc.

As far as someone putting a drink on my case, I usually don't allow it, not even a glass of wine! If it were to spill, it would cause a huge mess and might leak into the case where the coins are. I simply ask them to place it in between the cases or on the floor. (I also have napkins and Windex wipes to clean my cases mostly from greasy fingerprints and spit specks from people who get so excited looking at my coins (he he he) that their excitedness yields spit and drool all over the glass.)

I also get a lot of people who just want to look, compare, chat, etc. and for the most part I don't mind if I am not busy, but I do appreciate when someone who is just chatting is intuitive enough to step aside when another customer stops by.

If anyone is interested, I wrote the following article not long ago on coin show etiquette strictly FROM A DEALER'S PERSPECTIVE that appeared in a couple of coin publications. It's also geared more toward the new collector who hasn't attended many coin shows and may not be aware of some things that are already instinctive to the well-seasoned collector.

Coin Show Etiquette

(From a Dealer’s Perspective)

Recently, I wrote a couple articles having to do with difficult customers, so I thought it might be helpful to remind collectors about some simple coin show courtesies and etiquette, as well as give a few pointers to those new to attending coin shows. Of course, courtesy goes both ways; however, if you want to try and get the best deal and/or build a relationship with a dealer, it can only help your position if put your best foot forward, come prepared, are knowledgeable, courteous, and most of all behave professionally.

So I’ve gathered information from other dealers and collectors, as well as my own experience on some "do’s and don’ts" that may be useful to practice while you hunt for that perfect coin!

Preparing for the Show

• Bring cash with you – many dealers don't take credit cards, especially for bullion coins

• Organize your reference material and notes ahead of time – make a list of the coins you are seeking, and be sure you keep your notes and price lists organized so you can find them quickly so as not to waste time at a dealer’s table flipping through pages to find something

• Make a list of dealers and their table numbers that you want to visit – if dealer lists are available ahead of time, map out the dealers who might have the specific material you’re looking for

Arriving at a Dealer’s Table

• Don’t step between or behind a dealer’s table – this area is for the dealer and their helpers only and is off limits to non-badge holders

• Don’t interrupt a dealer – if a dealer is already involved with another customer, either wait or come back later

• Don’t block another customer’s access to a dealer’s table – be courteous so that other customers may also peruse the dealer’s coins

• Don’t spread your notes, reference books, or briefcase on a dealer’s case – it may block other potential buyers’ view of the dealer’s coins

• Don’t place your belongings in a separate chair – it prevents another potential customer from being able to sit and peruse coins

• Keep track of young children – don’t let young children climb on the chairs, cases, and table, and keep them from touching and handling items on display

• Let the dealer know what your interests are – unless you’re just browsing, tell the dealer specifically what you are looking for and even your budget guidelines

• Don’t ask to see the coins currently being shown to another customer – wait until the customer is completely finished looking at and discussing that coin before you make inquiries

• Don’t place food or beverages on top of the dealer’s case – put them on your lap or on the floor

Viewing a Dealer’s Coins

• Keep the coins separate from your reference material and bags – books and papers have been known to be good places to slip a coin or two and many dealers have lost coins this way, so try to bring the minimum amount of paper onto the table

• Only ask to see a coin if you’re seriously interested in purchasing it – don’t ask to see a coin just to compare it to one you already have or just purchased

• Don't monopolize dealer "junk boxes" – keep your time sifting through dealer’s junk boxes limited to around 15 minutes so as to let others have a chance to go through them

• Don’t reach into a dealer’s case – unless the dealer specifically tells you it’s ok, do not reach for a coin in a dealer’s case, let the dealer retrieve it for you

• Handle coins properly – hold all coins, even slabs, by the edges

• Don’t take photographs of a dealer’s coins unless you get permission – for security purposes, some dealers may be opposed to having their coins photographed and some coin shows ban photography altogether

• Keep any coins a dealer hands you on top of the case – don’t put them on your lap or down below eye level, and don’t step away from a dealer's table with unpaid for coins even for a moment

• When you hand a coin back, make sure the dealer knows you have given it back – don’t just leave it on top of the case and walk away

• Put a coin back exactly where you got it – when flipping through boxes or bins, be sure to replace it in the proper box or tray if you don't end up buying it

• Don’t criticize a coin if you don’t like – just hand it back and say thank you

• Be cognizant of taking up too much of a dealer’s time asking questions – many dealers will take the time to answer questions and offer advice, but don’t be burdensome - keep in mind they are there to sell coins so don’t sit in front of their cases asking a lot of questions when the dealer has other customers waiting

• Make sure you haven’t left behind any coins you brought with you – when you leave a table, double-check your pockets, bags, and papers to make sure you have all that you brought with you, including your loupe and especially any coins

Negotiating

• Don’t choose the highest quality coins in a dealer’s case and then expect to pay a wholesale price – dealers usually have to pay strong prices to acquire quality pieces, so don’t insult them by choosing their best coins and wanting to buy them at wholesale or Grey Sheet prices

• Have realistic expectations – do your homework because if you have unrealistic expectations, it can lead to insulting offers and bad feelings all the way around

• Don’t try to negotiate when the price is fair – ask the dealer for the price, and if you think it is fair, then pay it, don’t keep trying to negotiate; besides, if an offer is made and a counteroffer received, the original offer is no longer valid and the dealer doesn’t legally have to honor the original offer, so you may lose the deal altogether

• Don’t try to haggle if you cherry pick a coin – many dealers don’t mind if you happen to “cherry” pick a coin from them (meaning, you find a rare date or variety that was unmarked), but as mentioned above, don’t try and negotiate if you happen on a good buy

• Don't ask a dealer to put a coin on hold – unless you are serious about purchasing a coin, offer to place a deposit on the coin to hold it, but it is not fair to ask a dealer to keep a coin out of their inventory while you continue to shop around and never even go back to inform the dealer you changed your mind

• Don’t buy a coin then try to return it because you found something else – if you try to do this, most likely you will lose the ability to conduct any further business with that dealer, and possibly others

So the next time you’re at a coin show, if you keep these tips in mind, hopefully you will be more successful in your hunt for coins but at the very least, you will be appreciated and respected by the dealers you encounter!

Charmy has the best dealer etiquette of any I've met. The above post is just perfect.

Lance.

Charmy, I strongly agree with everything you have stated above. How wonderful it would be attending coin shows where everyone observed the "etiquette" you have described. How in the world you managed to write such a wonderful post, I am truly astonished. You did well dear.

"Don’t try to negotiate when the price is fair – ask the dealer for the price, and if you think it is fair, then pay it, don’t keep trying to negotiate; besides, if an offer is made and a counteroffer received, the original offer is no longer valid and the dealer doesn’t legally have to honor the original offer, so you may lose the deal altogether"

Sorry I dont agree with this at all. I recently offered a coin to a dealer for $3500 he told me he couldn't do that and countered at $2500. I talked him up a bit. Next thing I know he sold the coin on his site for $5K. He cant do $3500 but he listed it for $5K? Give me a break.... If I see a good deal than I am gonna do what that dealer did and ask for a better price.

Otherwise I like the rest of your list. :applause:

Mozin, thank you very much - your comments mean a lot!

Dimefreak, you can ask and counter all you want and as much as the dealer will "allow," but my point is that if you keep pushing, you may lose a valuable relationship with a dealer who carries material you're interested in. Negotiating is an art, not a game.

By the way, you didn't state how much you sold the coin to the dealer for, but just because the dealer is asking $5,000, as you well know, it doesn't mean he will get that amount.

Mozin, thank you very much - your comments mean a lot!

Dimefreak, you can ask and counter all you want and as much as the dealer will "allow," but my point is that if you keep pushing, you may lose a valuable relationship with a dealer who carries material you're interested in. Negotiating is an art, not a game.

By the way, you didn't state how much you sold the coin to the dealer for, but just because the dealer is asking $5,000, as you well know, it doesn't mean he will get that amount.

My apologies.... I meant to add he sold it for $5K before I even received the check.