• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Standing Liberty Quarter..

22 posts in this topic

The coin has been dipped which gives it the bright lusterous look. An original coin would be more mellow. Unfortunately it has a rub on the knee that goes down the shin of Ms. Liberty. That will lower the slab grade to MS-62 maybe MS-63 at best. It could go as low as AU-58 if the grading is very strict.

I tend to avoid Standing Liberty quarters with this type of rub because I view them as "sliders," but they freqently get a lower end MS grade.

One of the better S Mint issues struck in the series, with a low FH population. I would also agree the coin has been dipped and with better pictures we would probably see much more going on on the obverse. AU55-58 would be my suggestion.

The coin has been dipped which gives it the bright lusterous look. An original coin would be more mellow. Unfortunately it has a rub on the knee that goes down the shin of Ms. Liberty. That will lower the slab grade to MS-62 maybe MS-63 at best. It could go as low as AU-58 if the grading is very strict.

I tend to avoid Standing Liberty quarters with this type of rub because I view them as "sliders," but they freqently get a lower end MS grade.

I agree with Bill that this coin based on the photo appears to be a dipped Au 58. Sometimes because of lighting shadows can appear to be rub but in this case I see what looks like slight rub on the left leg.

no rub here

Do you use a 10X to check out the high points? The Standing Liberty quarter requires it. Check out Ms. Liberty's knee and go down her shin. You will see fine lines runnning all the way down. It is in the photo.

I learned my lesson the hard way on these coins. As I kid collector I got hosed with sliders (sold as Unc., AU when you try to sell them.)

I know you believe you have made a real score here with an MS-65 coin purchased raw, but that is not the case. NGC or PCGS will grade this coin, but it will probably be on a lower level than you think.

And it is definitely not original. It's been dipped, or as others have said treated with MS-70. Usually only the original or at least original looking coins get MS-65 or better.

Here is a 1929 quarter that PCGS graded MS-65, Full Head.

1929QuO.jpg1929QuR.jpg

no rub here

Do you use a 10X to check out the high points? The Standing Liberty quarter requires it. Check out Ms. Liberty's knee and go down her shin. You will see fine lines runnning all the way down. It is in the photo.

I learned my lesson the hard way on these coins. As I kid collector I got hosed with sliders (sold as Unc., AU when you try to sell them.)

I know you believe you have made a real score here with an MS-65 coin purchased raw, but that is not the case. NGC or PCGS will grade this coin, but it will probably be on a lower level than you think.

And it is definitely not original. It's been dipped, or as others have said treated with MS-70. Usually only the original or at least original looking coins get MS-65 or better.

Here is a 1929 quarter that PCGS graded MS-65, Full Head.

1929QuO.jpg1929QuR.jpg

I can relate to your early collector " Malady " .

MS-63 for me.

Edited to add: Hey, I just saw all the jabs at EAC! I take such insults personably!!!!!!

:whee:

Not that it makes a difference in my stated opinion, but I believe you stated the coin in question was " raw " , now you say it's in an NGC holder. Okay time to show us how NGC graded this piece.

Yes, you did start the thread with a statement that the coin was raw and that it looks to be raw in the photo.

Sorry mistake on my part... I should have said the coin is raw but is ex NGC. I put this coin in my type set. NGC graded this one cleaned.

I guess the MS-70 or whatever a previous owner used on it did it in. It's hard judge surfaces like this from a photo. I don't care for the look of the piece, but I didn't think that the brightness had gone that far.