• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't agree with the grading

19 posts in this topic

Strike comes into play a lot of times....so some years are known for certain areas being weak. I don't know if the 1885 and the breast feathers are one of those, but it may be.

I think the field chatter is a lot worse than pictured straight on. If angled in hand you will probably see depth of chatter is deeper and more present than shown.

Especially the one right below the chin on the obverse and below states on the reverse. 65's have very few field issues

I agree with the grade.

Unlike that miserable MS-67 RD Lincoln cent you brought up elsewhere (which was overgraded by 2 points), this Morgan dollar looks nice for the grade. Going only by images, it appears to be a slightly PQ MS-64, so I think PCGS got the grade perfect.

1885 is a date that sees some variability of sharpness. Occasionally, you'll find one that is insanely sharp, but the subject coin is about average if not slightly soft, yet at this grade level, there is no impact on grade.

PCGS gets the grade right MOST of the time, and they are pretty consistent on Morgans, as is NGC.

That's why it's an "opinion."

Can't we find a way to refrain from allowing Logic to interfere with our comments? It reduces the enjoyment level.

Respectfully, of course.

John Curlis

The only issue I have with this coin is the mark on Liberty's cheek.

Other than that, it has great eye appeal, and might be a point undergraded, but still nice looking for the grade given.

A bit overpriced, IMO, I think my offer would be $75-$80.

I think the field chatter is a lot worse than pictured straight on. If angled in hand you will probably see depth of chatter is deeper and more present than shown.

Especially the one right below the chin on the obverse and below states on the reverse. 65's have very few field issues

I agree with the grade.

I agree with that anology.