• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth Grading?

18 posts in this topic

I really don't see this worth more than a couple bucks if RB and not much more than maybe a couple more in RD. Not worth grading in my opinion.

If the color in the picture is accurate, it is not natural. Excluding the mark on the nose that would take it out immediately. The color I see is too light and not "coppery," which would indicate that the piece has been dipped or cleaned.

To those who think this is an odd question, I've seen some of the prices that people claim high grade Mint State Red cents from the '40s and '50s are worth, and it makes my head spin. If you can find customers were are willing to pay those numbers, asking about a red cent from the '40s is not off the wall.

BUT don't expect me to pay those prices. ;)

Yikes! That auction 1947 "MS-67" is just an ordinary coin from a roll --- look at the scrapes and dings on that thing. $9k for pocket change

Yikes! That auction 1947 "MS-67" is just an ordinary coin from a roll --- look at the scrapes and dings on that thing. $9k for pocket change

I agree. Unless the photographs are exaggerating the flaws, I do not agree with the MS67 grade for this particular coin.

Edited to clarify: By this "particular coin" I am referring to the PCGS MS67 RD linked by FishyOne. I also agree with the others that the coin in the original post is not worth grading.

I agree. Unless the photographs are exaggerating the flaws, I do not agree with the MS67 grade for this particular coin.

Edited to clarify: By this "particular coin" I am referring to the PCGS MS67 RD linked by FishyOne. I also agree with the others that the coin in the original post is not worth grading.

How about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-1C-LINCOLN-WHEAT-CENT-PENNY-NGC-MS67-RED-FINEST-REGISTRY-RARE-/220878770665?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item336d6691e9

I have a few other coins with similar issues

How much does the grading go down because of the damage to the nose?

My guess is that the first picture's color is way off, but that the coin is no better than MS63, and certainly not worth submitting. Even if you collect only slabbed Lincolns, you can proably buy a slabbed MS65 or 66 for less than the cost of grading this 63!

No joke :eek: ! Not remotely an MS-67!

And please nobody ask "how can you grade by a photo"... color and luster are not the problem, the coin simply has too many marks for such a high grade.

How about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-1C-LINCOLN-WHEAT-CENT-PENNY-NGC-MS67-RED-FINEST-REGISTRY-RARE-/220878770665?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item336d6691e9

I cannot zoom in enough to see the surfaces; therefore, I cannot grade it based on those photos. I will say, however, that I would consider that coin to be RB personally, and even if it is "Red" it is a marginal piece at that and not worth the value of other true red pieces, at least not in my opinion. Moreover, even if the coin was a true 67 RD, I would not pay that much for it.

PCGS has graded 10 at this level! NGC has 42 at 67RD with this one bringing $3.5K.

NGC 67RD

Modern Lincolns can bring amazing sums.

The NGC auction appears to be an outlier. The other NGC 67 RDs appear to be selling regularly for less than $2k, with one of them below $1k.

graded tags and expensive plastic with the contents being secondary

combined with registry set point score madness/passionate collectors who think with their heart not their head

brings irrational exhuberant pricing