• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins resold soon after initial sale...

37 posts in this topic

We all get to decide if we have a personal parameter or preference of whom we wish to sell to. For we with many coins, I really do not care who the buyer is because I have no emotional attachment to that coin.

However, I admit having a bias for some of my coins about who I sell to. I guess part of this is watching some dealers at many big show disrespect for nice collector coins and treat these slabs like air-hockey pucks and have the slabs end up looking like they have been dragged down 30 miles of gravel road tied to a rope!

Nobody should treat anything that is a "collectable" this way. It is disrespectful both to the merchandise and to your prospective customers. No sane person would treat any other collectable this way, why are coins any different?

A few months ago I bought this coin on teletrade for $65 simply because I knew it would go for more on ebay. It sold for $110-120. A week later it was sold buy great toning for around $150.

I suppose some one thought the better pics he has would take it to the moon.

22-s.jpg

Yeah people have mentioned it eBay flippers- there are a whole class of buyers that buy strictly for resale. They will look for bargain in auctions and then relist the items- Often they surf the auctions and move the items in to their stores. This happens in many categories. I have done this myself. I actually had one buyer once ask me if it was OK for him to use my auction photo because he wanted to re-list the item right away before he got it. If you can believe those coco nuts. Sometimes I have seen listings where I don't even think the seller has the item at all but is using a picture of another current auction hoping to get some fat bid and then buying the item at a bargain price. I imagine some have software that searches for the "buys", For some people this passes a job I guess. More and more eBay is the law of the jungle-

I've bought coins on ebay and then sold them a few weeks later. The reason for that was that I wasn't completely happy with them. I would try to like them but couldn't get passed something about them so I sold them within about a month of buying them.

Nothing is wrong with buying and reselling, except when a "collector" sashays a little softshoe on me as the seller about how the "blah, blah, blah I've been looking for this coins for 12 years, blah, blah, blah" to get your price down and then they flip it to the first dealer who looks at it. It makes me feel cheap and dirty!

Dishonor among thieves is what we call this down home (pejoratively of course).

Yea, verily.

Any sort of misrepresentation to get a lower price is lying, plain and simple.

I've had dealers and fellow collectors sell me coins at below FMV because they knew I'd appreciate them, but I didn't play my violin or boo-hoo about how I needed the coins and couldn't afford them. To be frank, I paid the same dealer slightly over market value a couple of times just so he'd see I wasn't mooching off him.

BTW, Michael, I still have the 1953 SA proof set you sold me years ago! :cloud9:

I must be a pure collecter because I can't bring myself to sell anything I buy. Except in time of dire need like my wife sick and close to ,well. then I sold almost everything and it still hurt.

I have seen this. It happens for a variety of reasons and is simply a characteristic of what I call the ebay coin show:

1. Buyer wins coin in auction at give away price, relists in auction or store.

2. Collector buys coin, a couple of weeks relists upgrade bought, needs money, etc.

3. Buyer wins coin and uses ebay bucks to pay giving it cheap inventory cost. Relists in store to reap rewards.

From time to time I have seen one of my coins relisted by the buyer in auction or their store. Could care less, wish them best of luck.