• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG Standing Liberty Quarter **Large Photos** Grade posted!

26 posts in this topic

At first glance, I would agree with the previous suggested grade, but on a closer look, I would say XF-45. Weak Strike and some Ware on the reverse is what brings my estimate down.

I'd grade it MS-63. It's got the flat spot on Ms. Liberty's knee, which says "AU" to some people, but coins like this usually get the MS-63 grade. It's got some spots on the reverse that preclude anything higher. The piece does not have a full head.

To those who said "EF" you will be in for a shock when you see a real "EF" by today's standards. I called those pieces Ch VF until I kind of got with the program. As a result I'm not much of fan of most Standing Liberty quarters that grade below AU unless it is a 1916 or a 1918 over 7-S.

I agree the subject coin has quite nice eye appeal and no doubt the luster is there and the surfaces appear to be unimpaired, but looking at the real measures of this series, especially with a date that is known for good strikings and a bountiful full head population, this piece just don't meet my expectations of an MS.....anything, weak strike aside, wear is wear and this coin exhibits wear in my eyes. Just my opinion but the important one is that of the owner and if they are satisfied, thats really all that matters at the present time.

Thanks to it's owner for sharing this with us. (thumbs u

I agree the subject coin has quite nice eye appeal and no doubt the luster is there and the surfaces appear to be unimpaired, but looking at the real measures of this series, especially with a date that is known for good strikings and a bountiful full head population, this piece just don't meet my expectations of an MS.....anything, weak strike aside, ware is ware and this coin exhibits ware in my eyes. Just my opinion but the important one is that of the owner and if they are satisfied, thats really all that matters at the present time.

I agree wear is wear, but I don't see what you're seeing on this one if you think it should be in an XF holder. A SLQ graded XF45 or XF40 exhibits nothing like the details on this one. I would guess it's somewhere in the AU58-MS63 range. JMO.

I agree the subject coin has quite nice eye appeal and no doubt the luster is there and the surfaces appear to be unimpaired, but looking at the real measures of this series, especially with a date that is known for good strikings and a bountiful full head population, this piece just don't meet my expectations of an MS.....anything, weak strike aside, ware is ware and this coin exhibits ware in my eyes. Just my opinion but the important one is that of the owner and if they are satisfied, thats really all that matters at the present time.

I agree wear is wear, but I don't see what you're seeing on this one if you think it should be in an XF holder. A SLQ graded XF45 or XF40 exhibits nothing like the details on this one. I would guess it's somewhere in the AU58-MS63 range. JMO.

I just realized I mis-spelled " WEAR ". Slap me upside the back of my head. twice ! What I am referring to as " Wear " is exhibited on the Reverse main device. The left wing and the breast . This date is one of the strongest strikes with the exception of the 1917 TY1 . The striking weakness exhibited is untypical for this date above 60. I will concede, I probably went to far suggesting XF-45, and should have more accordingly graded in the AU50-58 possibly 60. However, market grading being what it is today, you all are probably more on target than I .

Thanks for bringing back to reality.

I agree that there is wear on the reverse eagle's breast and ALSO on the knee and possibly the head, too.

The TPGS can market grade it, as MS, all that they want but it is still an AU coin. IMO.

I agree that there is wear on the reverse eagle's breast and ALSO on the knee and possibly the head, too.

The TPGS can market grade it all they want but it is still an AU coin. IMO.

AU I can buy, but not XF by a mile....not even by EAC standards ;)lol

I think it is a weak strike, but it's difficult to tell. Sometimes the give away between a weak strike and wear can be the luster. I wouldn't be surprised with an AU grade, especially if the images are hiding rub.

I think it is a weak strike, but it's difficult to tell. Sometimes the give away between a weak strike and wear can be the luster. I wouldn't be surprised with an AU grade, especially if the images are hiding rub.

(thumbs u

Yes. There is a break in luster on the areas I pointed out and didn't even mention the right knee , shield, head and toes.

Dudley, you can call this coin "EF-45" until the cows come home, but you are never going to buy an EF-45 graded coin that looks like this unless we start applying Early American Copper grading standards to Standing Liberty Quarters. In fact it would have to one of the really brutally conservative EAC graders to call it an EF-45.

An EF-45 has only traces of luster in the protected areas. This piece has luster all over it with the exception of some areas which might be rub or might be a place where the dies to did not fill out properly.

Likewise the argument that this piece is not well struck for the issue does not hold water for the grades we are discussing. The grade and the quality of strike come into play for pieces that MS-65 or better. Very rarely it might apply to an MS-64, but anything below that, the quality of the strike is not an issue. One might argue about the level of detail, but when this much luster is present, the coin grades higher than EF period.

I telling you this for your own good. If you grade like this all the time, you will never buy a coin.

Dudley, you can call this coin "EF-45" until the cows come home, but you are never going to buy an EF-45 graded coin that looks like this unless we start applying Early American Copper grading standards to Standing Liberty Quarters. In fact it would have to one of the really brutally conservative EAC graders to call it an EF-45.

An EF-45 has only traces of luster in the protected areas. This piece has luster all over it with the exception of some areas which might be rub or might be a place where the dies to did not fill out properly.

Likewise the argument that this piece is not well struck for the issue does not hold water for the grades we are discussing. The grade and the quality of strike come into play for pieces that MS-65 or better. Very rarely it might apply to an MS-64, but anything below that, the quality of the strike is not an issue. One might argue about the level of detail, but when this much luster is present, the coin grades higher than EF period.

I telling you this for your own good. If you grade like this all the time, you will never buy a coin.

I agree that the luster present and the surface preservation without question is unremarkable. Bill, if you read my previous reply you will note I conceded that my initial suggestion of XF-45 was being truly meritless and written in a moment with other pressing thoughts on my mind. . That said, I beg to differ with you on your comment that my statement that the example is not Struck well , " Does Not Hold Water " when assessing all Mint State Grades, is simply untrue.

This date and mint, above all others is probably held to the strongest grading standards for Mint State examples, including the lower scale and fullness of Strike is a key component in determining that overall grade.

Do TPG's consistently and evenly apply this grading factor for this date, No they do not. For me, the example is an AU-58 piece. I will suspect the actual assigned grade will be closer to the previous suggested grade , MS63.

For me, the example would be over-graded at that, but I will give you the skin has much eye appeal for a white coin.

Well I didn't finish my reply fast enough. I credit NGC with what is my opinion an appropriate grade for this piece. Op, you have a nice piece there, appropriately graded, and hopefully priced in your favor. Kudo's

At $70 that coin is a bargain. Kudos to NGC for grading it right. I've seen these coins in Mint State holders that had more wear than this one has. The wear on the knee seems to get ignored in too many cases.

yeah, I had looked over all the tables at the show in search of a SLQ for my type set. I was looking to spend 80-100 and was only looking for a common year coin in higher grade. I went from table to table and there was a very small selection to choose from. Most everything that I found in that price range was an EF-AU and slightly over graded. This one was at the last table I checked and I almost missed it.

I asked to see if the dealer had any SLQ's and he showed me three that were $75, ungraded AU50's. Not sure why he sold me the NGC graded coin for only $70 but I was sure happy.

yeah, I had looked over all the tables at the show in search of a SLQ for my type set. I was looking to spend 80-100 and was only looking for a common year coin in higher grade. I went from table to table and there was a very small selection to choose from. Most everything that I found in that price range was an EF-AU and slightly over graded. This one was at the last table I checked and I almost missed it.

I asked to see if the dealer had any SLQ's and he showed me three that were $75, ungraded AU50's. Not sure why he sold me the NGC graded coin for only $70 but I was sure happy.

Sweet deal! Nice work, and beautiful type coin!