• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PIC #2 posted by Six Mile Rick

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1817 Bust 50c

Possible thinking here is that I can't figure the words out from the previous piece due to the fact it is a fake and was made on a foreign coin. Still the weight is perfect

Later---

11589.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

This coin is not fake, I can see it a lot better in this picture! The upside down and backwards letters above the 17 is UNUM! The letters above 18 are part of a U and S from the word PLURIBUS. It appears that the reverse die left its impression on the obverse die. Check the reverse and see if there are any impressions from the obverse die. This coin will always be a cool conversation piece with other collectors! You may also want to check if there is an Overton number associated with this half.

Gary

What you see is definately a die clash from the reverse die. The size and placement of the lettering fit and you can even see the scroll. A very cool coin.

definitely a die clash. As a former collector of 3 cent nickels I've seen quite a few of these and your upside down AND reverse image is exactly where it should be.....

Wow, That was great for a evening on a coin. I will return it to the gold store tomorrow and search for something else to mess around with. Seems I will be doing liberty gold tomorrow.

I could use some good literature books on any coinage from the 1800s with the exception of the Morgans ( got some). let me know if you have something you are finished with.

Thanks Guys and ENJOY----

Very nice coin. Now that you know what happened, can you tell how it happened? Can oyu find more of the reverse hidden on the obverse?

Why not post this (and the other photo) on the main US Coins board? I bet others would enjoy seeing your nice find!

RWB, I have tried to post pics in the chats but having a problem with it. I guess the pixels need to be less for that site. As much as I sell coins it would be a benefit for me but I am happy now just staying inside the club. I'll figure the chats pics out some day.

Thanks,