• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1812 Capped Bust Half Dollar - GTG?

24 posts in this topic

Purchased this coin last week.

it is housed in an old, small ANACS holder (problem-free). pretty toning. seller's pics.

i've heard that some ANACS graded bust halves are good candidates for upgrades.

this one looks undergraded to me, even comparing to higher-graded NGC halves.

what do you think?

thanks!

KGrHqRHJBwE-dspTE4EBPyHSmjvw60_57.jpg

KGrHqRHJCE-kqC4gfBPyHVztbg60_57.jpg

It looks like an EF-45 at best to me. If they wanted to be hard on you it could go as low as EF-40.

The wear is quite obvious on the obverse, but there is probably mint luster within the stars and letters. Of late I’ve seen some coins like this get into AU-50 holders, but the flatness on the curls is too obvious to me.

Of late I’ve seen some coins like this get into AU-50 holders

i guess.. is this coin below much better than mine? it did make it into a PCGS AU50 holder

10723787.jpg

i guess.. is this coin below much better than mine? it did make it into a PCGS AU50 holder

10723787.jpg

This coin is overgraded in my opinion.

Just think, the war of 1812 era. Who might have carried this piece in their purse? All this history aside, I don't believe the piece will cross into a " Problem Free" holder if attempted. My opinion is that ANACS assigned an EF-40 grade, generously. I say it's a keeper as is.

10723787.jpg

Depending on the reverse I may agree. The obverse looks 48 to me, but if the reverse looks 55 then I'm fine with it.

Just think, the war of 1812 era. Who might have carried this piece in their purse? All this history aside, I don't believe the piece will cross into a " Problem Free" holder if attempted. My opinion is that ANACS assigned an EF-40 grade, generously. I say it's a keeper as is.

May I ask why? I don't see any obvious problems with the coin. Am I missing something?

10723787.jpg

Very much so!

It looks like an EF-45 at best to me. If they wanted to be hard on you it could go as low as EF-40.

The wear is quite obvious on the obverse, but there is probably mint luster within the stars and letters. Of late I’ve seen some coins like this get into AU-50 holders, but the flatness on the curls is too obvious to me.

Bill and I are thinking on just about even terms. I am going to guess it is graded EF-45, but for me, it should net down to EF-40.

Sometimes, I really don't like the way TPGs grade bust half-dollars of the 1811 - 1814 era, but what can you say? They are really, really tough to grade for those years in particular.

Thanks guys for all the opinions and grades.

The reason why I think (or thought) it was better, is that I always see NGC graded bust halves at 40 or 45 that have rubs and wear on the breast, cheek, and forehead ( Like This One ) and this coin I just bought looked better than these, to me. It does have some wear, but it seems to be not as bad as the wear on these other XF40's I see on eBay.

Anyways, I did not buy the coin to get it upgraded and make a quick buck, and I don't even collect this series. I just really liked it. I love bust coinage, especially bust quarters.

I'll keep this coin, at least for a while, no matter what holder it is in.

I see lots of parallel hairlines which would make me inclined to think it had been roughly cleaned.

I'm not sure what you mean by "roughly cleaned", but if the coin has been cleaned, I believe it to have been only lightly so.

Grade-wise, my guess would be XF45.

This is an O-103 D/M (R1). Note the two dots below the letter I in AMERICA

It appears to be in between a 40 and a 45 to me. If luster is strong enough I could see it as a 45, but the wear is too much to get much more than that, and I don't see AU luster in those photos. Hairlines are evident, but not enough to make it a problem coin.

Here is my XF 45 O-103 for comparison

1812o103001.jpg

1812o103002.jpg

thank you for the info.

i just got the coin, and looking at it in hand it looks like it is indeed XF45. the details are a little less sharp of what the photos looked like, but the toning on it is much better than seller's pics.

BTW it is in ANACS EF40 holder.

thanks

I hope you will post your own pics when possible. Thanks for sharing the coin with us.

i can try.. i'm not very good with the camera. and i have a point and shoot. here we go..

12-9.jpg

13-9.jpg

thanks again for all the help!

johnny

thank you for the info.

i just got the coin, and looking at it in hand it looks like it is indeed XF45. the details are a little less sharp of what the photos looked like, but the toning on it is much better than seller's pics.

BTW it is in ANACS EF40 holder.

thanks

Perfect grade in my opinion, which is of course what I guess up above!