• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks Like I will be doing coins full time now..just got fired

68 posts in this topic

Yep that's right...the corporate world strikes again...I told an employee of the company that he was under review because of poor performance and that he needed to turn things around or he was going to be fired. He had a young daughter at home and I thought it was the right thing to do. Management said I didn't have the authority to share that with him so now they have a trust issue with me so I was fired on the spot. No final notice, no suspension...just give me your keys and get to stepping. So it looks like it's time to do coins full time for now and figure out a game plan for when the dust settles :tonofbricks:

Nobody wants to get fired,but I think what you did was the right thing to do.We have to try to help others when we can,I would have done the same thing if I were in your position.I hope everything works out for the best!!!

Jason

Management!! Management?? There are too many people in charge who can't manage to flush a toilet.

That $uck$!

Chris

PS. You did the right thing, Shane.

You did the right thing, getting fired for doing what you feel is the right thing always is a hard thing to swallow. That company should have been happy with what you did as maybe now that guy you talked to will improve his performance. I could never understand management that behaved this way. Good luck in your future endeavors.

I would be filing for unemployment and fighting them. That sucks that you try to help someone and bosses get the feeling you are a threat to their job.

I thought you already did this full time.

In 2006, the company I worked for let us all go without notice. I had a two-year old and an eight-month old at the time and I was the only employee to get any severance pay. The secretary told me to "cash it today because it won't be good tomorrow". It was one week of pay.

In 2006, the company I worked for let us all go without notice. I had a two-year old and an eight-month old at the time and I was the only employee to get any severance pay. The secretary told me to "cash it today because it won't be good tomorrow". It was one week of pay.

I was basically working full time and then spending upwards of 30 hours doing ebay so it was almost full time. For now I will ramp things up and also do more imaging etc....then decide if I want another corporate job or if I want to just do coins full time which I would prefer if I can make enough to cover bills and food etc (thumbs u

Yep that's right...the corporate world strikes again...I told an employee of the company that he was under review because of poor performance and that he needed to turn things around or he was going to be fired. He had a young daughter at home and I thought it was the right thing to do. Management said I didn't have the authority to share that with him so now they have a trust issue with me so I was fired on the spot. No final notice, no suspension...just give me your keys and get to stepping. So it looks like it's time to do coins full time for now and figure out a game plan for when the dust settles :tonofbricks:

Shane not to be a butt-head but I need to ask if this employee worked under your supervision. If he did not you never should have said anything. I don’t think based on that alone you should have been fired however I know many companies will fire someone for doing what you did.

I left Corporate America in 1999 and was lucky enough to start a successful business. So what might seem like a difficult time now may turn into a fantastic opportunity for you to start a coin business.

Sorry to hear that, Shane. Take it from me - if you get laid off, there is always something better waiting for you. Good luck with the job hunt, hope things work out well for you.

I was basically working full time and then spending upwards of 30 hours doing ebay so it was almost full time. For now I will ramp things up and also do more imaging etc....then decide if I want another corporate job or if I want to just do coins full time which I would prefer if I can make enough to cover bills and food etc (thumbs u

For what it's worth, doing coins full time would be my ultimate dream.

If I thought that I could and still live comfortably; I'd do it in a minute!!!

No good deed goes unpunished. This may eventually prove to be a blessing although it doesn't look that way now.

This is generally true. Still brutal...........Best heartfelt wishes Shane. MJ

Sorry to hear it.

You were just looking our for an employee with a young family and this simple warning might've resulted in an improvement in his work. The punishment certainly seems like an overreaction to the crime.

Sorry to hear about this. I've been laid-off 3 times in my career and it hurts.

We move on and pick up the pieces. Things work out.

Keep the faith and know you were trying to do the right thing.

Im curious as to how management found out that you gave this individual this information? Possibly the employee you were helping got pissed because it was his job on the line and went blabbing around town? Just an interesting thought.......

Nick

stuff them if they do things like that you are best out !

Now you are your own boss and no one can sack you (just like i am now after being made redundant) it can be hard but the lack of "office" stress is amazing .. i hardly ever take a rennie now :)

100% best of luck and dont look back mate

Shane,

I feel your pain as I was laid off in November after 18 years. Good you have the coin business to fall back on. I have only managed to get one interview in 6 months.

Paul

Im curious as to how management found out that you gave this individual this information? Possibly the employee you were helping got pissed because it was his job on the line and went blabbing around town? Just an interesting thought.......

Nick

From what I gather the employee ran his mough to other employees and one of them when to his supervisor and then to HR....I didn't think our conversation was a big deal but I did ask him to keep it between us but so people can't keep their mouths shut. I didn't hurt the company in any way and his performance did improve......cest la vie