• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1947 pds mint set

58 posts in this topic

The seller can list the coins at any price he wishes.

Granted.

And others can comment on whether or not such a price is a fair one, based on current market conditions.

The text clearly says it's not a U.S. Mint set and refers to the Guide Book.

The error was made and corrected.

Well...now it does.

;)

The seller can list the coins at any price he wishes. The text clearly says it's not a U.S. Mint set and refers to the Guide Book.

I think Kenneth wants to know if the OP is kidding about the accusation of being slandered.

No, I was amazed by his angry response.. as in... dude, your kidding right???

The angry response is typical because he found out basically he was ripped off on this set.

My astonishment was accusing me of slandering him, and it's obvious he doesn't know the meaning of slander.

I wonder if he picks up on the definition I provided in my response to his idiocy?

Let's break this down so we can all be clear. I bought this set and listed it BEFORE posting it here. I was angry I got ripped off. I changed my listing so it clearly states what it is and not a mint set. I posted here because I thought someone could explain to me what was off about the price instead of bashing me. (I own and have read the 2013 red book) You call me an ***** while I clearly state I was wrong, and slander was the wrong word. Of course you have never made a mistake before. I thought the purpose of the forum is for people to learn.

The seller can list the coins at any price he wishes. The text clearly says it's not a U.S. Mint set and refers to the Guide Book.

I think Kenneth wants to know if the OP is kidding about the accusation of being slandered.

The angry response is typical because he found out basically he was ripped off on this set.

My astonishment was accusing me of slandering him, and it's obvious he doesn't know the meaning of slander.

I wonder if he picks up on the definition I provided in my response to his idiocy?

Let's break this down so we can all be clear. I bought this set and listed it BEFORE posting it here. I was angry I got ripped off. I changed my listing so it clearly states what it is and not a mint set. I posted here because I thought someone could explain to me what was off about the price instead of bashing me. (I own and have read the 2013 red book) You call me an ***** while I clearly state I was wrong, and slander was the wrong word. Of course you have never made a mistake before. I thought the purpose of the forum is for people to learn.

Here's the thing.....you felt hurt, and that is understandable, however, you should take anything on a public forum with a grain of salt and learn to filter out what is useful.

In this case, you lashed out at someone you thought was attacking you, but if you had let it sit, you would have seen it really wasn't an attack.

Many people on the forums commit the same errors.....speaking before thinking and investigating. The timing could have shown the difference in the question time of asking and the posting of the ebay auction. However, if you get objective, you will see where people would make assumptions.

That all said, a helpful bit of advice may be for you to realize that you are lashing out quickly and if you want to keep learning from folks, stick around, learn and try not to lash out....and especially try not to make excuses for lashing out.

Calm down guys, if it comes down to lawsuits etc.......we have the resident attorney and coin expert mr feld to help us out :)

Or I can go 10 mins down the road to Ron Sirna

That is what I was saying.. his anger is understandable.. but his angry comment at you is not..

Is it not possible to return the coins to whomever sold them to you for a refund?

That is what I was saying.. his anger is understandable.. but his angry comment at you is not..

Is it not possible to return the coins to whomever sold them to you for a refund?

Coin auction companies around here have **** policies on returns, lots of cheap coins,

some sales are too good to be true like this

Here's the thing.....you felt hurt, and that is understandable, however, you should take anything on a public forum with a grain of salt and learn to filter out what is useful.

In this case, you lashed out at someone you thought was attacking you, but if you had let it sit, you would have seen it really wasn't an attack.

Many people on the forums commit the same errors.....speaking before thinking and investigating. The timing could have shown the difference in the question time of asking and the posting of the ebay auction. However, if you get objective, you will see where people would make assumptions.

That all said, a helpful bit of advice may be for you to realize that you are lashing out quickly and if you want to keep learning from folks, stick around, learn and try not to lash out....and especially try not to make excuses for lashing out.

First and foremost, I called you nothing. I, along with others who have posted to this thread, have done only an attempt to help you to learn about your mistake, nothing more.

My post, with the link to your eBay auction listing, I said was interesting. I found it interesting that even after I, and the others, had pointed out to you, after your photo of this set, that this is not an original 47 PDS set in the original government packaging; that you had listed it with a mention in your item description "mint cellowrap" and the starting bid and BIN prices over a grand. I didn't say anything in the line of a personal attack on you, nor did I make any statement regarding that listing that was untrue.

I can understand your frustration as I, and everyone else for that matter, have made the same mistake you have when we first started out in collecting. Anyone who says they never have, is full of hot air.

My suggesting you buy Red Book is my standard recommendation to ALL people who come to online numismatic forums, along with many other helpful books on numismatics, not to belittle you in anyway, but rather to give you the best place to start learning about this hobby. Ever hear the phrase, by a book before a coin?

I'm sorry you were taken on this set. It's unfortunate. I really don't see anyway for you try and recover from this, or at best, trying to break even on this so you're not out anything.

Best you can do is chalk it up as an expensive lesson, learn from it, and move on.

Next time, you'll be all the more wiser before making another purchase like this.

Oh and one more thing, since there were only 5000 of these PDS sets minted in 1947, chances are there none that still exist in their OGP. Many of the sets listed on eBay that appear to be in a cardboard holder, much like the ones the Mint used for the 47 sets, look to be assembled in a modern cardboard holder and are highly unlikely to be the original set and holder from the Mint.

The holders, are in too pristine condition for them to be the original ones from the Mint.

There are still a very small number of early, green cardboard holder mints sets around, but the bigest problem is that the coins have switched out and others have been pushed in to replace them. These sets have often been the sources for very high grade Mint State coins coins from the late '40s and early to mid 50s. Quite often the high grade coins were pulled out, certifed by one of the leading grading services and replaced with pieces in to take their place.

Replacement coins are not all bad if they are (1) full Mint State and (2) bear a resemblance to the other coins in the mint set. Over time the replacement coins will tone like the others, but it takes a few to several years. I know because I did it with a set I bought many years ago that was missing one of the half dollars when I purchased it.

Mint issued mint sets came in green cardboard holders. They were double sets that contained two examples of each coin so that the owner could see both sides of the designs. In the 1957, the holders were pink, not green. The mint introduced the cello packs for mint sets in 1959.

In closing I would say that you should avoid attacking people who are trying to help you here. Most of us have a lot of knowledge in one or more areas of numismatics, and we can be a great resource. We are not problem. The person who sold you this set is the problem.

There are still a very small number of early, green cardboard holder mints sets around, but the bigest problem is that the coins have switched out and others have been pushed in to replace them. These sets have often been the sources for very high grade Mint State coins coins from the late '40s and early to mid 50s. Quite often the high grade coins were pulled out, certifed by one of the leading grading services and replaced with pieces in to take their place.

Replacement coins are not all bad if they are (1) full Mint State and (2) bear a resemblance to the other coins in the mint set. Over time the replacement coins will tone like the others, but it takes a few to several years. I know because I did it with a set I bought many years ago that was missing one of the half dollars when I purchased it.

Mint issued mint sets came in green cardboard holders. They were double sets that contained two examples of each coin so that the owner could see both sides of the designs. In the 1957, the holders were pink, not green. The mint introduced the cello packs for mint sets in 1959.

In closing I would say that you should avoid attacking people who are trying to help you here. Most of us have a lot of knowledge in one or more areas of numismatics, and we can be a great resource. We are not problem. The person who sold you this set is the problem.

+1

FYI, some of these "sets" I've found on eBay, have blue color cardboard holders ;)

For what it's worth, my main reason for searching eBay for these sets that have sold was to see if the OP did in fact buy it from eBay recently and might be able to return it.

Coin auction companies around here have **** policies on returns, lots of cheap coins,

I'd agree on many counts, but not on this, with a particular stipulation: when an item is clearly not as described it is well within your power to return it for a reasonable period of time. eBay does for sure, and you can usually call your credit card company and file a complaint for goods not as described claims.

I'd agree on many counts, but not on this, with a particular stipulation: when an item is clearly not as described it is well within your power to return it for a reasonable period of time. eBay does for sure, and you can usually call your credit card company and file a complaint for goods not as described claims.

I will contact them and see what I can do

Thank you

Thank you

I contacted the auction company and was told

"We were quite clear in our terms that everyone was to rely on there own analysis and judgement prior to bidding." "There are many coin experts that attend our auction and they have always been willing to answer questions" "The 1947 Mint set you received was not altered in any way."

Most auction companies have similar return rules in that they are not approval sales. If they called it a 1947 US Mint Set then the terminology is misleading since it definitely isn't anything of the type. However, if they went on to describe it and post images then one should have known better. Their stating that it was not altered likely means that they sold it just as received and it was intact as they had received it.

Thank you

I contacted the auction company and was told

"We were quite clear in our terms that everyone was to rely on there own analysis and judgement prior to bidding." "There are many coin experts that attend our auction and they have always been willing to answer questions" "The 1947 Mint set you received was not altered in any way."

That last line is hilarious IMO.

"The 1947 Mint set you received was not altered in any way."

"The 1947 Mint set you received was not altered in any way."

It was not altered in any way except for the fact that it is not a MINT SET ; it is a YEAR SET .

In this case terminology is important, and the seller is either ignorant or shady.

Was the auction an absolute auction? (low start with bidding going up)

or was there a high reserve and you had only bid?

so there was another bidder just below you? or auctionhouse shill?

Was the auction an absolute auction? (low start with bidding going up)

or was there a high reserve and you had only bid?

so there was another bidder just below you? or auctionhouse shill?

It was low start bid with no reserve but the auctions r quick so they can drive up your bid very sneakily, but you live and learn I guess. All I can say is I won't be going back.

Return it back anyways and contact eBay saying your unhappy

I don't believe it was an eBay purchase. I think it was more of an estate auction type thing.

I remember going to a local auctionhouse and the auctioneer was calling bids from phantom bidders from the back and even selling to them with bogus buyer numbers. It was like they had their own reserve and did not care if it was not met. They had a table of nice coins and had some nice coins listed in advertisement, but not all coins were even offered. They sold some coins every half hour between their other stuff. I never went back there either.

I remember going to a local auctionhouse and the auctioneer was calling bids from phantom bidders from the back and even selling to them with bogus buyer numbers. It was like they had their own reserve and did not care if it was not met. They had a table of nice coins and had some nice coins listed in advertisement, but not all coins were even offered. They sold some coins every half hour between their other stuff. I never went back there either.

Exactly!!

Kind of off-topic here, but I don't know much about earlier Mint Sets. Should I be familiar with the Statue of Liberty card in the OP's packaging? I see one particular seller on oBey that uses the same image with some of his listings. Were these at anytime related with coins or is it just more likely that this seller is the one that produced the OP's set?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-S-SILVER-SET-of-U-S-COINS-BRILLIANT-UNCIRCULATED-to-GEM-MINT-FLASHY-/310409200161?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4845d48221

Kind of off-topic here, but I don't know much about earlier Mint Sets. Should I be familiar with the Statue of Liberty card in the OP's packaging? I see one particular seller on oBey that uses the same image with some of his listings. Were these at anytime related with coins or is it just more likely that this seller is the one that produced the OP's set?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-S-SILVER-SET-of-U-S-COINS-BRILLIANT-UNCIRCULATED-to-GEM-MINT-FLASHY-/310409200161?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4845d48221

Look at my set from the page 1, stickers exactly the same, this user uses these stickers

These sets are after-market sets produced to sell as year sets. Even though this seller gets might close to writing they are Mint Sets, they hold back and do not cross into that territory.

For what its worth, I would guess that at least half the people here have had an event or more like this happened which opened their eyes to what can go wrong and it "should" save you money in the future. Might be a while before you make up for it by making a sweet cherrypick or find and that will depend on how much work you put into the hobby to put yourself in a situation to do so. But it is possible to make up for these mistakes tenfold so read the books and keep at it.

For what its worth, I would guess that at least half the people here have had an event or more like this happened which opened their eyes to what can go wrong and it "should" save you money in the future. Might be a while before you make up for it by making a sweet cherrypick or find and that will depend on how much work you put into the hobby to put yourself in a situation to do so. But it is possible to make up for these mistakes tenfold so read the books and keep at it.

And we're mentioning it here:

Expensive Mistake(s)