• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First time buying from HA

12 posts in this topic

Not very excited

I bought my first coin from heritage auction around a 3 weeks ago. Finally received it today. As I take it out of it's packaging the first thing I notice Is the ngc holder is chipped badly and looks like It's been taken out of the holder once or twice. Then I try to add the coin to my registry, but i can't. Still registered to the last owner. I don't have very good camera, or I would show you all the holder. I guess It will get crossovered my next shipment. By the way. The coin is a 1985 P MS67 5FS, NGC pop 10/0. Being the finest registry coin for date and mint. As my first experience with HA, It wasn't a very good one. I think I will stick with ebay and teletrade.

See more journals by chunk-it

NGC will get changed from the previous owner. You should have received a message that it may take couple of days. I can assure you however that if it came from Heritage there is no funny business.

wheat

I agree Heritage is very reputable and I have had several very successful transaction with them, but what they do lack is packaging skill. I've had coins show up from them in a priority mail envelope with the slab just shoved into the envelope.

When I ship a slab it always goes in a bubble mailer inside bubble wrap - double protection, as the USPS can be rough.

Sorry you had such a bad experience...

Todd

I have purchased a few modern comms from Heritage at good prices and have had no problems. It just takes some time to get the coins from the them.

Sorry to hear of the problem you experienced.

Jeffrey

While I have purchased several coins from Heritage, I was always disappointed with their return policies. I recently purchased a rare Franklin FBL. When it arrived, I noticed a fingerprint on the obverse. I contacted them and sent them my pictures that clearly captured it. They got back to me and said, so sorry, we will not take it back because we pictured this coin for all to see before the auction.

The net is,their picture did not capture the finger print and it was not disclosed in the write up description. Pretty poor ethics if you ask me!

Because they will not stand behind issues like this one, I always look at other options for my collecting needs first!

Dave

Not very excited

I bought my first coin from heritage auction around a 3 weeks ago. Finally received it today. As I take it out of it's packaging the first thing I notice Is the ngc holder is chipped badly and looks like It's been taken out of the holder once or twice. Then I try to add the coin to my registry, but i can't. Still registered to the last owner. I don't have very good camera, or I would show you all the holder. I guess It will get crossovered my next shipment. By the way. The coin is a 1985 P MS67 5FS, NGC pop 10/0. Being the finest registry coin for date and mint. As my first experience with HA, It wasn't a very good one. I think I will stick with ebay and teletrade.

See more journals by chunk-it

Please post a link to the auction.

Ive bought alot of coins from Heritage but I keep them as my last ditch effort to find the coins I want. The reason is because it takes too long to get your winnings. I understand if my coin was won on day 1 but getting the winnings a month after the auction is just crazy. If Im paying a 15% BP, I would think they would ship them faster. The plus side of Heritage, no gougers like Ebay!

I finally got on Great Collections and won a coin. That coin arrived 3 days later.... now that is service! And talk about packing... it was in the USPS cardboard envelop, in a bubble mailer and in a cardboard sealed packer.

I've bought coins from Heritage many times over the last 10 years or so with no problems. They can be slow in shipping after a major national auction, but they may sell 10,000 or more lots on the same weekend at these auctions so I can see where they get backed up in the shipping department.

NGC slabs can chip and crack. The Heritage listings usually include a high-resolution photo of the front and back of the entire slab; were these flaws in the listing photos?

The "registered to previous owner" is a problem with the previous owner, not Hheritage. I have had the same issue with ebay purchases, Teletrade, even one coin I bought at a local show.

I'm not sure what you mean by "crossover" but I would be very careful there. You have a Pop 10/0 coin now. If you send it to PCGS and they put it in a MS-67 slab without FS designation, or in a MS-66 FS slab, you'll lose most of the value. For $7.50, NGC will re-holder it (put it in a new, scratch-resistant slab) without re-grading it.

I will never buy--and definitely never sell- with Heritage again. For those who are pleased and that have had good experiences-congrats. I won't even get into the topics like bidding on their own auctions ( which they admit and do legally as per the fine print), 1+ year to pay off consignments, consignmet items that did not reach reserve which they "lost" only to have show up at one of their platinum auctions, photo enhancing etc etc...just my 2c ( and several dozens of others around here also). I can find great coins without the 15% fees, + shipping and handling, lackadaisical shipping times, and no return policy--otherwise, they're top notch !

While I have purchased several coins from Heritage, I was always disappointed with their return policies. I recently purchased a rare Franklin FBL. When it arrived, I noticed a fingerprint on the obverse. I contacted them and sent them my pictures that clearly captured it. They got back to me and said, so sorry, we will not take it back because we pictured this coin for all to see before the auction.

The net is,their picture did not capture the finger print and it was not disclosed in the write up description. Pretty poor ethics if you ask me!

Because they will not stand behind issues like this one, I always look at other options for my collecting needs first!

Dave

....They did the same thing to me,and i lost $700.00 on the deal.I had them auction it off since they already had the coin(sent it back for a refund).I have yet to buy another coin from them...