• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One more collecting goal accomplished!

39 posts in this topic

One goal I had that I felt was a long term goal was just completed the other day. And I was surprised as to how lucky I got in finding one of these coins. A big thank you to Doug Winter for going above and beyond to make the deal for the $2.50 piece happen.

Very few early $2.50 examples come on the market that are CAC approved. I have seen many examples that have been stripped with no original surfaces left. I saw this one listed on Doug Winter's email list, and asked if had been to CAC. It hadnt, but he agreed on selling it on a contingency that it would pass. And lo and behold, it did!

This coin finishes my Draped Bust early gold type set. Im very pleased with the end result. Now I just have to sell some other stuff! lol

1807 $2.50 PCGS XF45 CAC

1807qtreagle.jpg

1800halfeagle.jpg

1799Eagle.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

AJ

One can always dream and your set is the one dreams are made of! Very nice set, congratulations. My dream is to own just one example among the coins you picture.

Gary

nice! Too bad no NGC coins

In the world of CAC addicted collectors, NGC coins with CAC stickers don't count. I know that sounds cynical, but there is a grain to truth to it. The PCGS weenies have morphed into PCGS-CAC weenies.

It is to the best interest of collectors to do what they can to have more viable grading services, not less. If PCGS ever got in the position where they controlled the entire grading market, the quality of their service would go down and collectors would have to pay more to get certified, no problem quality coins.

There are 12 coins in the early gold type set, and I’ll admit that 10 of the pieces my collection are PCGS graded. The reason for that was that those pieces were the coins that pleased me as located coins that I could afford. BUT the capstone coin, the 1796 No Stars quarter eagle, is NGC graded, and to be frank in my research of this coin since the mid 1990s, two of the best examples I saw for the grade were NGC coins.

1796NOST250O-1.jpg1796NOST250R-1.jpg

I had this one on consign circa 1995. It was in an NGC AU-50 holder. It was a wonderful coin with original surfaces, an old time collection look and great eye appeal for the AU-50 grade.

1796250O.jpg1796250R.jpg

Larter it was cracked out, shined up :( and is now in a PCGS AU-58 holder. :mad: There are those who say that my photo caused this change in the look of the piece, but a dealer who has handled this coin at least twice confirmed what I just wrote.

1796250O-1.jpg1796250R-1.jpg

And for those you who think that all CAC coins are original, here a coin to refute that argument. This 1858-D gold dollar in PCGS MS-61 had been "done," and it is CAC approved. I owe this piece so I have a right to tell it like is without hurting anyone. And yes, I bought it from Doug Winter. But then again it is a Mint State Dahlonega coin.

1858-DGoldDollarO.jpg1858-DGoldDollarR.jpg

If any of these were in NGC/CAC holders I would have bought them.

I'm not going to get into the CAC conversation here. You collect how you want to, I'll collect how I want to.

I'm not going to get into the CAC conversation here. You collect how you want to, I'll collect how I want to.

(thumbs u

Ankur,

I just wanted to say that I very much enjoy looking at your awesome coins. I wish I had the ability to acquire such nice pieces (but if you don't mind I'll live vicariously through you for now)

:grin:

You have a perfect right to collect what you want with whatever attachment to the holder that you like.

I'm just tired of tired of reading, "Does it have a CAC sticker?" almost everytime I see a posting of a coin ATS. The implication is if it does not have a CAC sticker its over graded not worth buying.

CAC is not perfect. I've seen some CAC coins that I did not like at all, including one I bought in an auction via the Internet. A couple days ago there was a posting across the street of an "overly crusty" 1875-CC Twenty Cent piece in PCGS EF-40 CAC. I did not care for the piece at all, and couple of other collectors agreed with me. When I was a dealer NGC once kicked a coin similar to that back at me in a body bag marked "environmental damage" and yet this piece had a CAC sticker.

CAC can be an aid in helping you select a coin, but it should not be given a veto power over the market value of a coin. Now it seems you need to have PCGS holder plus a CAC sticker to have coin that amounts anything. If that's so, then why bother with PCGS? CAC should become a grading comany with their own slabs if that's the way things are now.

rantrant

Like I said, I don't want to discuss the CAC thing here. But so much for that.

Yes I agree that not every CAC coin is nice, and I've seen many I do not like. But at the end it's Johns opinion and money, so what does it matter if I don't like it?

I have no affinity to PCGS slabs. A good percentage of my collection is NGC.

Hi Ankur, Thanks for posting those, it's a visual pleasure to get a good look at them, please keep doing that with others of your collection and acquisitions in the future.

Ankur, I think the coin is nice, but I have to agree with Bill. It seems very odd indeed to see a coin you like -- a very hard one to find in "nice condition" as you state -- but then to make the purchase/acquisition "contingent" on a $10 green sticker. Makes absolutely no sense to my brain, but the hobby is flexible, and you can collect however you'd like.

There is a guy ATS and on another coin forum (and occasionally posts here) who basically collects TrueView pictures. He doesn't seem to care if the coin looks good in hand, just whether Phil Arnold can make it look good in a picture before it gets put in PCGS plastic. Again, to each his/her own. (shrug)

At the end of the day though, your newp is a nice coin, and if it makes you happy to have a whole "plate" of green beans, then go for it! My grandma always told me to eat my vegetables. :grin:

PCGS_and_CAC_Kool-aid_plate.jpg

Ankur, I think the coin is nice, but I have to agree with Bill. It seems very odd indeed to see a coin you like -- a very hard one to find in "nice condition" as you state -- but then to make the purchase/acquisition "contingent" on a $10 green sticker. Makes absolutely no sense to my brain, but the hobby is flexible, and you can collect however you'd like.

It makes sense to me. Ankur is simply looking at possible future market liquidity and for the cost of $12.50 he can be reasonably assured that the coin will have the benefit of a currently accepted marketing tool. Additionally, if I recall correctly, nearly every other coin that Ankur has in his collection has a CAC sticker on it, which might infer (rightly or wrongly) that any coin without the sticker had failed the process. Lastly, if something happens to Ankur and his family needs to sell the coins then the sticker may help, but likely could not hurt, in selling the coin at a fair number. All of that for $12.50 seems like it might be a pretty good deal when looking at a $10,000+ coin. No one else is required to understand the above points, but they make pretty darn good logic to me.

It makes sense to me. Ankur is simply looking at possible future market liquidity and for the cost of $12.50 he can be reasonably assured that the coin will have the benefit of a currently accepted marketing tool. Additionally, if I recall correctly, nearly every other coin that Ankur has in his collection has a CAC sticker on it, which might infer (rightly or wrongly) that any coin without the sticker had failed the process. Lastly, if something happens to Ankur and his family needs to sell the coins then the sticker may help, but likely could not hurt, in selling the coin at a fair number. All of that for $12.50 seems like it might be a pretty good deal when looking at a $10,000+ coin. No one else is required to understand the above points, but they make pretty darn good logic to me.

+1

Congrat's A..............MJ

I was about to post what TomB already stated. Thank you for the post Tom, you hit the nail on the head. CAC to me also means liquidity.

With early gold, a good percentage has been puttied, heated etc. Until I become an expert in detecting what the TPG's missed, im not going to spend five figures on a coin unless I know there is nothing wrong with it. Some series I'm pretty good with. But I haven't seen enough early gold.

Bill on the other hand has, and does not need CAC to make major purchases. When I reach Bills level of knowledge and expertise, then I may not need CAC either.

I didn't want this to become another CAC thread. So much for that.

I didn't want this to become another CAC thread. So much for that.

As most of you know, I have been an early and consistent supporter and proponent of the CAC. I had lunch with John A, Mark Feld, Laura Sperber, IGWT, and FatMan at the Milwaukee ANA, prior to the launch of the CAC, and John A spelled out the details of the venture and answered our questions. I have been on-board since before the doors opened.

That said, I do not like that we seem to have to have the CAC vs. no CAC debate with increasing frequency, often when it is really not the point of the conversation.

Like in Ankur's case, where he acquires a great coin to complete a mini-set, and we end up arguing about the stupid sticker. In some ways, it is like going to Game 7 of the World Series, your team winning, and when you get home, all anyone wants to do is talk about where you parked the car or whether you paid too much for the beer.

One nice thing about collecting some foreign coins (and this applies to medals, tokens, and exonumia, in general) is that we can talk about the coin, and the subject of the CAC is guaranteed not to come up. In fact, rarely does the subject of grading come up as most are not familiar enough about the subject matter to have an informed opinion. Viva la Darkside!

Or better yet, UN-certified :) .

Coins I plan on keeping forever get busted out. I would SOOO love to be able to enjoy that 1807 without a great big plastic holder stuck around it.

Or better yet, UN-certified :) .

Coins I plan on keeping forever get busted out. I would SOOO love to be able to enjoy that 1807 without a great big plastic holder stuck around it.

Need an address to send a check? ;)

First off hell of a set and well done. 2nd not to beat a dead horse, but just per say the coin did not get a cac sticker for any reason, but doug winters liked the coin. Do you still pass or play? The coin is hard to find and rare? Maybe it is me, but I think I would pull the trigger on the coin if doug winter's liked it. CAC or not me. Tom does raise some good points but I guess I collect differently than some. Sure money is tied up in it, but I am not worried about when I will have to sell X or Y. I am in it to collect and not worried about my profits or losses. Ofc nobody wants to lose money but that should not be your main concern.

Again congrats on a great set and glad you got a super coin. Well done!

In some ways, it is like going to Game 7 of the World Series, your team winning, and when you get home, all anyone wants to do is talk about where you parked the car or whether you paid too much for the beer.

I've always viewed the CAC vs TPG argument as a baseball argument between Ash and Maple bats. One is supposedly better then the other, but their is no conclusive proof.

One goal I had that I felt was a long term goal was just completed the other day. And I was surprised as to how lucky I got in finding one of these coins. A big thank you to Doug Winter for going above and beyond to make the deal for the $2.50 piece happen.

Very few early $2.50 examples come on the market that are CAC approved. I have seen many examples that have been stripped with no original surfaces left. I saw this one listed on Doug Winter's email list, and asked if had been to CAC. It hadnt, but he agreed on selling it on a contingency that it would pass. And lo and behold, it did!

This coin finishes my Draped Bust early gold type set. Im very pleased with the end result. Now I just have to sell some other stuff! lol

1807 $2.50 PCGS XF45 CAC

1807qtreagle.jpg

1800halfeagle.jpg

1799Eagle.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

AJ

Congratulations on completing such a difficult type set. I like all three coins, but the quarter eagle and eagle are my favorites. I love the character and originality of these two; the 1800 is a bit bright for my tastes, but I still like it. Well done.