• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 D Cent error? by John M. Robinson II

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This may be my first error coin, that I have rediscovered from a dusty shelf of a old consignment shop in Northern New York

I am hopeful I will obtain some good guidance in regards to error coins. What appears, to me, is a error coin-- 1922D BN Cent -- that I purchased from a small Flea Mall in Northern New York.

Close-up images below, of the Cent, shows what look like a mint crack/ridge within the -O- of the word -One- on the Reverse. After looking at the Rev even closer I noticed the crack/ridge extends from the -L- of -Epliribus- to the -E- of -Cent-.

What is interesting is that I also purchased a series of 1944S; 1945S and 1945D Jefferson from the same Flea Market dealer (He was not on site and I never talked with him). The 1944S also appears to have a mint crack/ridge. A post and photo will soon follow this post.

Any comments, both positive and negative are welcomed. We can not learn, if we do not seek information.

Best wishes to all

Jack

11497.jpg

See more journals by John M. Robinson II

Thanks guys for your comments. I do not know what the grade or FMV will be but, by the end of the summer this coin will be heading to NGC.

Do you suggest to send it to have conservation done, first? Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Jack

It's not going to command a very significant premium. If it were on a more common date, it would have a higher % premium. It does indeed appear to be a die crack. I would caution you on sending it to NGC, on the grounds that there appears to be active PVC on the surface of the coin (the green spots), which would prevent the coin from grading, and would net a details grade. The coin won't gain any value in a slab IMO.

Well, I just received the news that NGC finished grading this 1922 D Lincoln Cent, this week.

L1ncolnFwn, if you see this updated post, you were spot on with your assestment of this coin. I sent it directly to NGC to be graded and slabbed. They graded it as -- VF Details.

What I am amazed about is that even though I put onto the submission form and paid the extra $$$, I noted that I was certain that the previous mentioned -- Error -- easily visible on this coin, was correct. NGC did not even mention if it was or, not and Error. To me, this is odd.

On the bright side, another coin that I also submitted, a -- 1945 D Jefferson 5-Cent-- received a MS 65 Star grade. My first.

A 1944 S Jefferson (also, rejected as an obvious (IMHO) visible Error) obtained a -- MS67. This is cool since there are only a few MS67s out there. There are a very small number of MS68s. No MS69 or, higher.

The $$$$ jump from MS67 to MS68 for this coin is significant. From under $70.00 for MS67; then over $2200.00 for the MS68.

Best wishes to all.

Semper Fi ! Remember out military Veterans.

Jack

Hello Newprepper....

I really do not know the answer to your question. I am just a newbie at submissions and Errro stuff. What I do know is that the mentioned 1922 D Cent does not look like a -- normal -- Cent.

So, in my mind, which is pretty weak at times, this indicates this coin should stand out from the rest-- especially when graded. IMHO but, greater powers (and collectors) must have come across this situation before.

Thanks for your post. Hopefully someone will enlighten us on this issue.

Best wishes and have fun in what you are doing.

Jack

The coin does have the appearence of a die crack. The 1922 is one of my favorite varities if cent. I have them with cracks simular to yours, with a D , with out a D , partial D, strong reverse , weak reverse, and almost no reverse. The dies on this series was bad to start with got progressively worse as the months wore on. If you like lincolns this year is a fun one to collect. I now on one graded ms63 rdbn and the obverse is about 25% stronger than the reverse which is only about 50% of a normal strike.

wheat

Hello Wheat,

Since I am still learning: as you pointed out, my 1922 D does have a Rev die crack; shouldn't that fact be noted when NGC graded it?

The coin(s) are in the mail heading back to me from NGC. When I get them, I will double check my submission form and then give NGC a call.

Your Lincoln collection is interesting. The 1922 Lincoln Cent is going to be a lot of fun to research.

Best wishes,

Jack