• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comments on a Saint-Gaudens post on another forum

11 posts in this topic

The post titled “The Saint-Gaudens Cent (an almost coin)” by WingedLiberty1957 on PCGS is a nice, short overview of the beginning of the “renaissance of American coinage.”

There are a couple of things that should be made clearer. The striding Liberty with wings and Native American headdress was never “lost.” The model of that design on the far right has no connection with Saint-Gaudens or his students except some very poor artist tried to copy Saint-Gaudens’ idea. The Liberian coin is insultingly bad, also.

President Roosevelt and Saint-Gaudens were not friends. TR collected people of outstanding reputation in many areas of expertise just like he collected wild game heads. All the correspondence between the two was directed toward the coins or medal. Letters to TR’s real friends, such as Senator Lodge, are very different in content and style.

The cent design was finalized in February 1907, but Saint-Gaudens then asked to see it on the double eagle. After having samples made and accommodating the artist for several months, TR made a decision about what designs would be used on the $20 and $10, and discarded the cent entirely in May 1907. (It was TR who wanted the headdress on Liberty, S-G did what he was told. It was never intended to be, nor is it, a Native American on the $10 coin.)

A couple of posters expressed doubt about there being any public outcry about the religious motto being omitted in the 1907 $10 and $20. In this instance, the stories are correct (unlike the SLQ). The White House, Treasury, Mint and members of Congress received hundreds of petitions, letters and cards about the motto. TR composed a orm letter that was sent to newspapers and seven ministers who had written to him as soon as the $10 were released. Letters ran about 80% in favor of the motto. Examples of these are in the TR papers at the Library of Congress, and Mint documents in NARA, and archives of individual members of Congress.

Could someone post the article in question?

I really hate it when you guys make reference to threads on the other boards without providing adequate clarification or backstory - some of us don't go over there.

Sorry, I thought the thread title and board name would be sufficient.

Yep--just saw it. Thanks! That was nice. I hope they don't get in trouble with Don Willis.

I've got to do a better job of proof reading...too many typos.

RWB,

I recently borrowed the three Renaissance of American Coinage books from the ANA library and enjoyed them very much! Learned a great deal about this exciting period of American coinage.

Highly recommended!!!

Thanks, illini420 ! Most of the material was unknown until the research was completed. It took almost a decade to locate and put the pieces together.

Very interesting, I've seen the cent models before, aren't they housed at the Saint-Gaudens home/studio in Cornish, N.H.?

The cent and other models are on display at the SGNHS. There are hundreds of other small models and large plaster pieces in storage. They don't have the space, staff or security to do very much.