• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1858-O $10

11 posts in this topic

I'm trying to put together an 1858 set. In general I am not buying gold for the set as it is too expensive for most of the denominations and mintmarks, but there are 3 - 4 pieces I might try and get. Here's the first piece of gold for the set. It's an NGC/CAC AU50. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1858-O_AU50-7smThis.jpg

bc1858-O_AU50r11smThis.jpg

I love antebellum gold, especially from the southern mints. The coin has a lot of character (in a good way), and I like the look of the coin - it looks natural and not cleaned or chemically brightened. I love it.

Looks nice for grade and the coin is all there for strike detail (especially the eagle's feet) which on antibellum "O" gold is an accomplishment. I would be happy to own this gold eagle as well. Nice find!

The Liberty Head, No Motto $10 gold pieces in EF and AU are very underrated IMO. Congratulations!

They were the true workhorse gold coins of the 19th and very few of them were saved by collectors because of their high face value. When I saw the Eliasberg collection on display at the Philadelphia mint in 1976, I saw first hand the generally lower graded (a lot of VFs) that were in his set. It shows how rare many of these coins are in any grade.