• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the SLQ grade *GRADE REVEALED MS-66!!!*

20 posts in this topic

What's up with the strike on the date?

Weak struck?

Could be AU 58 or could be MS 63. Really looks like rub on the obverse though.

I think it's an AU 58.

I see what 'appears' to be rub on the shield rivets, head AND date.

If that is an MS coin with a strike issue, it is one of the most profound ones that I have seen.

First thought was 64, even with what looks like rub, the images gives the idea that the coin's actually just weakly struck, and well-preserved.

It's an NGC MS-66.

The pictures I posted are representative of the coin in hand...weak strike areas on the obverse and booming luster on the reverse.

It was previously sold on Heritage about 5 years ago, and toning has not changed, so it is stable.

Thanks for the inputs.

That is an MS coin - the date was caused by a broken die -which is not unusual for this date or mint mark. The soft shield is also typical for this date and mint mark. You can tell the die was late stage and worn out when this coin was pressed.

Yes--when I saw that the DATE was flat and incomplete, I was really leaning toward a DIE issue, as you can easily see the date of an SLQ even on a AU 50 coin!! The problem with the date was the giveaway, in retrospect

That second image of the coin in the holder shows details that the light hid on the first picture of the obverse.

I agree. Based on the first image, I would have guessed AU55, but I can see why the mid to high grade range was in play in light of the second photograph.

Sadly I just got spoiled with the finest known SLQ passing through my desk today...NGC MS-69 and it should be a FH (though it should also be in a 68+* holder instead of 69)

LF - where do you work? Sounds like you routinely deal with some amazing stuff.

Based on his avatar, I would guess Stacks & Bowers? ;)

LF - where do you work? Sounds like you routinely deal with some amazing stuff.

Based on his avatar, I would guess Stacks & Bowers? ;)

:applause: