• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade of 1883 W/C Nickel *GRADE REVEALED*

13 posts in this topic

First I will say that it is almost impossible to grade proof coins by photographs as they often hide hairlines. Additionally, I'll add that I see what I am perceiving to be some haze. I'll guess PF 66.

Yes it is :o)

I am seeing a few things just holding back from a 67 so I am in the

PF66 camp also

I'm interpreting the haze to be less severe that at least one of the posters here, but other than the haze, why do many of you believe that the coin only grades PF65? I'm just curious (and perhaps I have missed something).

I am in the PF 65 crowd, also.

It looks QUITE hazy to me, as well, with some VERY light marks upon the cheek. I see ALOT of blatant haze and/or residue on the reverse. It doesn't look natural to me, either. It may have suffered from a dip.

This is why I would grade it a PF 65

I'm interpreting the haze to be less severe that at least one of the posters here, but other than the haze, why do many of you believe that the coin only grades PF65? I'm just curious (and perhaps I have missed something).

I'm basing it on comparison with a PF66 coin I have. It could very easily be PF66 or PF65 (as you yourself said, proofs are very hard to judge from photos).

coinman,

Generally I find that anything over PF66 really pops out and looks stellar. While this is appealing, it doesn't have that pop that indicates a super high grade to me. Also the tiny marks here and there just ring 65 to me.

It is graded PF-65. The haze referred to is much more exaggerated in the pictures than on the coin itself.

Thanks for the opinions.