• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1796 El Caballito, Chico Medal

4 posts in this topic

I purchased a medal a long time ago that I have no clue about.

The only information I ever found on this medal was someone was selling one with a description the same as mine. They called it a "1796 El Caballito, Chico" and said it was listed in Grove as C268. They gave the description of: 33mm Obv. Carlos IV and Queen facing right. Rev. on a pedestal, an Equestrian statue.

The only Grove book I found information on is (from the ANA Library):

RN20.G7

Grove, Frank W.

Medals of Mexico.

San Jose, Prune Tree Graphics, 1970-1974. 3v. ill. 27cm. Contents: I. Medals of the Spanish kings, [1701-1821]. II. 1821-1871. III. Orders, awards, and military decorations. 4c. V.1; 3c. V.2; 3c. V.3

Anyone have this book or have any information on this medal? I'm looking for mintage, what the medal commemorates and/or who it was given to, and the approximate value.

1796_el _caballito_chico.jpg

Greg,

This medal is indeed in Grove, which is a two volume set for medals 1700's to 1970's, the modern medals are in the green book and earlier medals in the white book. There are no values associated in the first volume, although Grove did make a semi-value listing which was sold separately. From my memory, I have seen these priced from $200 to $300 in your grade. Pontario and associates in San Diego is your best bet. Rick Ponterio will know the value.

TRUTH

Thanks for the info. After 3 months I had given up on anyone knowing. smile.gif

I was figuring around $250 for the value since I saw an AU for $165.