• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1958D Wheat Cent - GRADE REVEALED

23 posts in this topic

Just for the fun of it. Not rare at all, but I was just blown away by how clean this obverse was!

126080.jpg.9319b170b6ce1c198990057c3b950418.jpg

Wow, fantastic coin. We don't see a whole lot of Wheaties here.

I think that just misses a 67, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it wear that plastic.

I'd call it a 66+ RD.

She is 66RD, but I'll bet its in a 67RD holder. Very nice.

If only grading were as easy, precise and objective as you make it sound, in saying "She is 66RD". Grading is opinion, not fact.

MS-67 RED! And, I do not think it's really that common in high grade!

480 graded 67rd combined PCGS/NGC

close to 9,000 graded 66rd combined PCGS/NGC

Difficult at the 67 level, common 66 and below.

If only grading were as easy, precise and objective as you make it sound, in saying "She is 66RD". Grading is opinion, not fact.

Most things in life are baised on opinion, some we accept as fact. Grading is never easy or precise when multiple individuals/philosophies are involved. But I stand behind my statement, from my view the facts support a 66rd grade

Most things in life are baised on opinion, some we accept as fact. Grading is never easy or precise when multiple individuals/philosophies are involved. But I stand behind my statement, from my view the facts support a 66rd grade

Why did you grade it 66, rather than 65 or 67?

The lack of any significant hits or marks other than the tiny carbon speck on the rev, coupled with the nice strike and luster would support the 67 level. But the less than 100% full strike rev(notice that the "O" on the rev is not fully raised and sharp, and there is weekness in the "EP"), limit the grade to 66. Now I'll admit that I've seen many coins: and own some; with less than a full "O" given a 67 grade, which is why I wrote that I would'nt be surprised to see this in a 67 holder. Of course this is all academic as we're doing all this from pictures anyway lol.

The lack of any significant hits or marks other than the tiny carbon speck on the rev, coupled with the nice strike and luster would support the 67 level. But the less than 100% full strike rev(notice that the "O" on the rev is not fully raised and sharp, and there is weekness in the "EP"), limit the grade to 66. Now I'll admit that I've seen many coins: and own some; with less than a full "O" given a 67 grade, which is why I wrote that I would'nt be surprised to see this in a 67 holder. Of course this is all academic as we're doing all this from pictures anyway lol.

Thanks.

It would be really interesting to know how many of the "480" 67RDs are retreads. I'd think a MS-68 RD would be worth a king's ransom.

It would be really interesting to know how many of the "480" 67RDs are retreads. I'd think a MS-68 RD would be worth a king's ransom.

I totally agree, and yes I suspect that registry users would bid a 68 to the moon and back. :)

It is in an MS67RD holder, and I think it is solid for the grade (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it). The obverse fields are possibly the nicest I have ever seen on a wheatie.

126107.jpg.9236ca5387f50c17956539707209185c.jpg

Just for the fun of it. Not rare at all, but I was just blown away by how clean this obverse was!

Common in 66 but not in 67. Yours looks like a 66+ for sure and probably a 67 unless the reverse held it back.

I agree that NGC MS-67 is the grade, I wouldn't pay the full 67 money for it though, I'd pay 66 for it, which is what it would go at PCGS IMO.