• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

point scores correlated to coin value?

2 posts in this topic

I realize there is a positive correlation in that generally higher point value coins are worth more than lower -

Does NGC use a formula that puts a dollar/cent value on coin depending on their grade resulting in their registry points?

The reason I ask is I have some not very common PL and other not frequently seen coins and I am trying to price them - it would be great if I could use a formula such that coin retail is (registry points)(xxxx cents) = retail value

but maybe I am being simplistic as coin market and series fluctuate independently

The relationship of points to FMV in the registry would only apply within a denomination and series. This is especially true when comparing modern proof coins to classic business strike coins where there appears to be no value correlation at all, except within a coin series.