• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this an error? 1880-O Morgan

6 posts in this topic

I recently salvaged this morgan from a bargain bin. What caught my eye was the "O". Is it an error? Also, wouldn't mind hearing grade opinions while you are at it!

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

Looks like PMD to me. The VAM 43 (medium O set left) has a doubled MM that shows much thicker on the right side of the "O" but yours looks to have been "smeared" across the MM. The scratch across Miss Liberty's throat might keep this in a details slab. Otherwise, its in pretty good shape and borderline MS. This date becomes quite rare and expensive beyond MS63.

PMD coin.

Looks to be AU, but I think would be body bagged because of the damaging gouge across Liberty's neck, into her hairline.

Distracting marks from her eyebrow down her face.

I don't agree with the VAM 43, which refers to doubled ear, medium O/O center, doubled reverse legend, as this coin does not appear to be an O/O variety.

You can find information about VAMs at VAM World

it looks AU possibly MS details

it has the ultra rare 'jack the ripper' throat cut scratch which could possibly be unique - but would be a problem for TPGs

the mintmark looks possibly hit/smashed and displaced

you need to checkout VAMWORLD.com as they have most VAMs listed and pictures of areas of interest