• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1880-O Morgan guess the grade and error?

10 posts in this topic

I recently salvaged this morgan from a bargain bin. What caught my eye was the "O". Is it an error? Also, wouldn't mind hearing grade opinions while you are at it!

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

I've had nicer coins come back AU58. I'll go with that. I don't think the Mint Mark damage is a VAM but rather just damage.

PMD (post mint damage) on the O = smashed

coin is upper AU / lower MS details

but would problem holder due to the

jack ther ripper scratch on the throat

AU details, post mint damage. Notice the damage on the obverse along Miss LIberty's face and hair. The coin could be a VAM, I would check VAM World.

Edited to add: I don't think you will be able to get this coin into a problem free holder, but if you are, I don't see a MS grade in the coin's future. Absent the problems, I would have estimated this coin's grade to be an AU58.

It's damaged, and would get a DETAILS label.

The gouge across Liberty's neck into the hairline, and the marks from above her eye down her face and onto her neck are distracting, but the gouge into the hairline is the damage IMHO.

Too bad, the reverse looks real good.