• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Large cent grade.

28 posts in this topic

The picture is a bit dark, but I would say EF-45 also. The variety is Sheldon - 4, the Periods variety. The coin is very nice with what appears to great sufaces and color.

Only image i have Mark.It was from a web site that i copied it from.The coin sold as i was inquiring to buy it,and don't remember the grade.

I would have guessed VF-25, and agree with S-4.

Take that with a grain of salt, as I am usually way on the conservative side compared to typical commercial grades.

VF20

I know the grade because I know the coin.

Ankur, do you know of any problems with it which are not apparent in the images? It sure looks better than a VF20, from what I can see.

Well the variety is an S3 (Periods) which was the last of the die pairs and came very well struck. Looking at the hair detail, VF seems right, though 20 may have been a bit harsh. Other than a few small rim dings, I didnt know of any other issues.

Harry Laibstain had it. I was second in line. Needless to say I was a minute late...and a penny short lol

I doubt the graders would forget a coin like that. And it's in a new holder.

I have seen many seemingly unforgettable coins upgrade. Some of them within a period of months, not years.

Still, the seller is a very sharp dealer, and likely would not have sold the coin, had he thought chances of an upgrade were decent or better.

All I'm saying is that the reward is so substantial, I would gamble the cost of S/H and Insurance 2 to 3 times for that coin. I might lose, but then it could pay off great dividends. JMO

Jim

The discussion above reminds me of why for me, some coins simply should not be in slabs. The PCGS grade (if it is indeed VF-20) is actually RIGHT! The problem is that so many other so-called VF coins are overgraded, which in turn makes this correct grade look "conservative" ... which it actually is not.

In other words, the slab is unfairly keeping this coin down, while other slabs are unfairly inflating other coins that are in worse shape but graded the same.

There are nice UNC S-4s out there. Compare the detail on an UNC, and you will see that there is no way this example is remotely "extremely fine 45". It is much too worn for that to be the case. But VF fits well.

The discussion above reminds me of why for me, some coins simply should not be in slabs. The PCGS grade (if it is indeed VF-20) is actually RIGHT! The problem is that so many other so-called VF coins are overgraded, which in turn makes this correct grade look "conservative" ... which it actually is not.

In other words, the slab is unfairly keeping this coin down, while other slabs are unfairly inflating other coins that are in worse shape but graded the same.

There are nice UNC S-4s out there. Compare the detail on an UNC, and you will see that there is no way this example is remotely "extremely fine 45". It is much too worn for that to be the case. But VF fits well.

Yes, VF30! :cool:

I don't agree with this James, EAC grading is a myth, there is no grading guide, and talking to EAC dealers, they all say that all EACers grade differently, so the only type of grading that has any level of consistency, or at least, there is a record of grading through photographs of slabbed coins and guides is the market/ANA grading standards apparently used by TPGs. Hence, this coin, as Mark Feld notes, is maybe perhaps closer to 45 and undergraded, unless there are some problems not readily observed in these images.

Time for the NBA draft lottery drawing - Go BLAZERS!

Best, HT