• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 50 Most Popular Modern Coins

9 posts in this topic

"best of the best" in terms of popularity, scarcity and affordability?

It may just be my jealousy speaking, but when have $500+ coins become known as "affordable"? I got NGC's email today about the new Top 50 label, so I decided to start my set. I own only 1 coin from the set (lowest valued 1 at that) and do not foresee owning any of the others.

I'd like to see a "poor man's top 50" set that has truly affordable common modern coins. No need to offer annual awards for them, just a fun set that many of us could actually complete 100%.

Thanks for listening! Enjoy your coins! Share the joy with the ones you love!

11328.jpg

See more journals by drewlove3

I agree with the affordability issue.With the diversity of available modern coins there should be no problem with creating a top 50 set on the high end,and a top 50 of more affordable coins.Maybe top 50 over 100 dollars and top 50 under 100 dollars!!!!

I checked out the set recently. Over 80% of the coins in the set are GOLD and PLATINUM.

HMMM- That will be a set I could go runner up for lowest rank. Ha Ha

I'm sure if I did have money to invest in gold it would be double eagles or other 1800s rarities. Speaking of GOLD--- have you seen the value yet today??? $1540 and dropping----OUCH!!!

Later---Rick

Those lists are just an artificial means to create another market that NGC can exploit. I am not biting. there are plenty of interesting sets to collect, and they will keep me busy until the day I die.

Malcolm

The authors of the new book have been defending it to the death on another thread here.

If you haven't already, check this thread out for some entertaining banter. :)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5668923&fpart=1

Wow Brandon, what a fascinating journey you just took me through. Thoroughly enjoyed that massive thread and you, as usual, represented your, and my, viewpoint with great skill.

Malcolm

"Affordable" is a relative term. In this case, the intention was to imply affordable compared to more traditional collecting of older coins. The finest collections of classics are well into the millions.If you compare to that, today's low mintage moderns are affordable. One can collect coins on almost any budget. The basket of coins in this book would require years to build a set for a person on an average income but what's wrong with that? It's very do-able.

John