• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mercury Dime purchase--opinions please***New Info Added***

10 posts in this topic

How about your opinons on this new 1941 Mercury Dime I recently purchased. TIA.

Jim

Sellers pic a little dark on the face

1941MercuryDimejdm1.jpg

My Inhand pics(which are not the greatest---great camera--sorry Shane--and terrible operator) lol

1941MercuryDimejdm1inhand.jpg

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Greg---how about you, Dimeman and any others opine regarding the wider, lower portion of the second

'1' and the '4' in the date. Also, the right side of the designer's initial appear wider to me. I found three

other coins with the same features(2 out of the same original roll that I bought this one from).

Let me know what you think--Jim

1941analysis.jpg

Hi Jim,

Multiple dies were used so you will have many different 1941 examples to locate if you actually wanted them all.

1941 had a mintage of 175,090,000 pieces! Only 4 other dates had more produced (1944, 1942, 1943, 1945).

I know that for the 1896-S there were 5 Obverse Dies used in order to produce 596,773 pieces so each die averaged a production of 119,354 pieces. Things were improved by the time 1941 came around but you are still looking at the fact that DOZENS and DOZENS of obverse dies were used in 1941. There will be many different variations of a 1941 Obverse and Reverse. These are all lovely facts. I am trying to dig up die use information for the Mercury Dimes but the information has been lost/destroyed for the most part. If I ever dig anything up, it will certainly be reported/published.

Then there is something else to think about, strike quality. There might be a challenge matching some dies beyond the typical approaches when you take into account strike quality.

Enjoy,

Greg