• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1872 shield guess the grade

11 posts in this topic

I'd say MS-64. The final "s" in cents is weakly struck, but all in all one fine looking shield nickel :)

Is that normal for the ring at the top of the shield to be doubled or do you have another error coin?

This looks very much like a DDR pictured in CPG (Fifth Ed. Vol. I) page 241 as: "Moderate doubling is evident on the annulet, cross, leaves, and shield, with the secondary image south-southeast of the primary image... URS-7 I-3 L-3 Fletcher 121".

CPG lists the above variety at about 130% of normal value in UNC grades.

Please note: I am not an expert on this series or identifying CPG varieties. Hopefully someone else will double check and confirm or correct.

-Coin Trader

This looks very much like a DDR pictured in CPG (Fifth Ed. Vol. I) page 241 as: "Moderate doubling is evident on the annulet, cross, leaves, and shield, with the secondary image south-southeast of the primary image... URS-7 I-3 L-3 Fletcher 121".

CPG lists the above variety at about 130% of normal value in UNC grades.

Please note: I am not an expert on this series or identifying CPG varieties. Hopefully someone else will double check and confirm or correct.

-Coin Trader

hi thanks for the imput .. check out this discussion about it (thumbs u

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5680590#Post5680590